Leveling a shed site

I want to put a 12x12ft shed on a paved area at the end of my garden. The shed installers tell me they need a level area on which to do this, preferably with no more than a 1cm variation over the site.

I've put a couple of pix of the situation at

would I approach this? I am assuming I'd need to level up as I can't envisage taking up all the flagstones!

Reply to
lemmy

lemmy used his keyboard to write :

How would you approach what?

The setting up of levels? - Length of clear pipe, fill it with water and as water finds its own level both ends of the water will be perfectly level if you make it into a U shape. Just measure down from the water's level at each end, but keeping one end always at the same reference point. Use several 2x2's tapped in to the ground so that you have multiple reference level points to work from.

If I were putting the shed up myself, I would simply arrange piles of bricks perfectly level - so that they matched the timbers in the floor but if you are getting them to build it for you it is not so easy to know where to place them. Could you perhaps heck out where the timbers are located before they turn up and set them out appropriately?

What ever, the hut floor needs to have some air space under it to permit it to remain dry and prevent rot. The bricks need to be well tamped down into undisturbed ground, but you can still expect them to sink a little way in time. Make the piles no more than about 2 feet apart. Perhaps you could set the piles up on the slabs?

The other way would be to lay some level concrete, but then arrange the bricks on top of the concrete to provide the air space. Don't set the timber straight down onto the concrete without the air space, it will encourage rot.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Looks flat enough to me, is the paved area big enough? Just relay the buckled pair.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

TEST (posts not appearing in this group)

Reply to
Phil L