What is max service temperature of GE Silicone II sealant caulking?

Why is it so hard for people to be nice to each other ? How was that last comment helpful ? Why not give him an actual product name that you recommend ? I worked alongside an HVAC friend for 10 yrs "apprenticing," and the guys in the business used a mastic product called CCWI (I forget the number- 181 ?) pros, please help. I think there are different viscosities with different numbers like # 6 or 7. Its worth doing a little research b4 ordering online or purchasing. Also, not sure if they were designed (don't think so) for inside furnace temps. And then you have the high temp aluminum tape, which you originally said you'd rather not use, as it has a lifetime (and death) of its stickiness (I agree). Mastic is longer lasting. Have you thought about creating a trap door in your ductwork, with an angel grinder, for easier access, for inspecting, sealing and cleaning ? But then you have to make a door which is bigger than the opening and seal around that too . This is quite an interesting exchange of ideas. Thank you all. G

Reply to
Idea Factory

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer ? My sister asked me to find out (internet search) how long her battery is supposed to last (hours/days) for her model cell phone. I told her the real information answer, for her use case, will be so specific to her, that she needs to just try a different (newer) phone and use it as she normally would, to find out how long a typical battery should last. And I offered her my phone. Which means a better answer is to find out under your own specific conditions. I think if anyone has a good answer for the GE silicone temperature limit question, they wud have written it. Since they/we don't, they/we recommended known options. It may be time to do your own testing/experimenting and find out for all of us, if ithe GE silicone works at ___ temp, and for how long does it stick. This will help forward knowledge, if you choose to share it, for all humankind. G PS Have you tried to find a product called "_/*_Black Fire Cement_*/_ " ? Its used for sealing wood stoves, etc. (high temp). Pls let us know what works.

Reply to
Idea Factory

Why do we still have to be so unkind to a curious, learner ? Thanks for your advice, but does it have to be insulting ? Is this the way you speak to people in person, like your customers, etc ? If you know more, please share, but not with all the judgement, etc. Anyone ever used Black Fire Cement ? used to seal wood stoves,etc high temp ? G

Reply to
Idea Factory

BTW, many of us in the States, have no idea that a furnace boiler, which has a blower to focus or fan the oil flame, actually blows hot air and combustion gases, which are more toxic than car exhaust, since no catalytic converter, thru the combustion chamber, and over the manifolds/baffles/ heat exchanger, *out* of the chimney (out of the house) and therefore, creates a vacuum(negative pressure) in the house. Air must replace it, best case: comes from outside, generally cold air, thru leaks or at best a separate in duct, which does not seem very efficient, since we do not generally use heat exchangers (for "in" air) here in residential HVAC. Worst case, pulls back chimney exhaust gases (including Carbon Monoxide) as you correctly should be concerned . I know in new res construction, in Canada, heat exchangers are used, with separate "in" air ductwork, and in Germany. Seems we in US are still in the Stone Age. The last oil furnace/boiler guy who came to service ours last month, said the boiler does not have a blower, when I asked him. So he's either ignorant or he's fudging to shut the homeowner's questions down. If you have a separate fossil fuel fired water heater, with a separate duct for exhaust gases, and the furnace is creating a vacuum, guess what happens to the H2O heater exhaust gases ? They come right back in . Pros out there, please correct me if I'm wrong, - I'm just a kid and only did an apprenticeship with an old man in HVAC. I'm not a pro. There are mastics which dry rubbery. But please try the silicone,(perform the experiment) be the scientist, and let us all know what the temp is (drill a test hole/port) if it works. If it sticks, if it stays rubbery, how long it lasts. You can forward knowledge for all of us humans, even those who think they already know everything. I can tell all of us are burning with curiosity, insults aside. I know I am. I wonder if they treat their neighbors the way they behave online. Online writing Seems to bring out the "best" in all of us. Black Fire Cement ?

Reply to
Idea Factory

Wow, you get points for the funny parts. I particularly liked the "denture adhesive." And answering the question. But then you lose points for being snarky. Why shouldn't we tap into knowledge from others ? That is how we move forward as a race, instead of each inventing his own denture adhesive, from scratch. ;) Obviously, you got something out of the discussion, or u wudnt hav red this far. Even if u think u know everything, as I do (kidding) I now wonder if the different colors of GE caulking have slightly different properties. And what happens to it when exposed to flame (so I'm gonna purchase sum and try it. and waste $12. and hav sum fun. Just for clarification, what did this sentence mean:" If your furnace, in any o ther place except the burner (gas/heating oil) or heating element in an ele ctric system you should run away, if you can. " I didn't quite understand it. Pls elaborate. Does it mean we shouldn't use electricity for heat ? Why is Tesla changing all their cars to electric heat pumps, if it isn't the most efficient ? And the new air source heat pumps for houses are effective down to zero and below degrees F. The efficiency numbers top 500% (I know it sounds impossible, but it is true because it is moving heat from one place to another instead of creating it) Or did u just refer to electric furnaces - as in resistive type ? FYI- even they are more efficient that fossil fuel type, just fossils are more heavily subsidized - and therefore cheaper. A good portion/percent of Fossils heat goes up the chimney, but didn't in electric furnaces. And have you looked at the ridiculously high efficiency of ground source heat pumps, which should be used everywhere there is a cold environment, and in reverse for AC? Has anyone realized that a person taking the time to go onto this forum, is doing research ? It is reviewing current knowledge. G

Reply to
Idea Factory

Wow, thank you. See, no-one predicted that answer. Formaldehyde is some nasty s----(stuff). Glad for your input.

Reply to
Idea Factory

Hey Big Boy, Why do you find it necessary to name-call and insult ? That is bullying. You do realize you "spelt Engineering" incorrectly. How did your comment forward (the knowledge) of the discussion ? Shutting down an inquisitive pupil ? Hope you don't work in a position that you have to explain things or teach or work with things that live and breathe or interact with children like this. You don't have to have an engineering degree to understand physics and concepts of materials science and thermodynamics. We all can learn just about anything, if so motivated. Just like you did - you didn't know something about something , until you did. We all can be many things. Try not to beat the curiosity out of people, who want to learn.

I was wondering about muffler and tailpipe sealer - but that is probably not rubbery after cure _ G

Reply to
Idea Factory

Permatex red and copper are high temp silicones. The Ultra red is good for intermittent 650F. Ultra copper is good to 700F

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Your topic is very nice and helpful to us … Thank you for the information you wrote.

Nayagi Industrial Technologies