What is a "Waterless Urinal"?

I was recently at a store where they had a unusual looking urinal. Above it was a sign that read, "Waterless Urinal" and it went on to say "safe for the environment". There was no flush handle and it did not flush automatically after I used it. (Obviously it cant flush without water). So, how does it work? Has anyone else seen one of these?
On 6/29/16 1:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Read about them here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinal#Waterless_urinals
On 6/29/16 1:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

They are all over the place in the Keys. Basically, you piss, it goes down the drain and that is that. This is a fairly good discussion. http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-tech/sustainable/waterless-toilet4.htm
On 06/29/2016 10:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

The local Raley's supermarket has them. I think they are disgusting.
On 6/29/2016 1:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Simple really. The drain pipe goes through the wall just as regular ones, but for the waterless it goes outside to the lawn. Keeps the weeds down. More sophisticated models in cities run the drain pipe to a fire hydrant where local dogs get blamed for the wet spots.
Your own back yard can be designated a waterless urinal too. You just get a permit for $5. I can handles that for you.
On 6/29/2016 3:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I hope you're joking because it's not accurate.
On 6/29/2016 4:41 PM, Meanie wrote:

That's how I set them up. One dog did complain his favorite hydrant was compromised. Lost some of his markers.
On 6/29/2016 5:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

DOH!
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo writes:

If you actually wanted to know, you could have typed it into Google and the first hit would have told you.
http://www.facilitiesnet.com/plumbingrestrooms/article/How-Do-Waterless-Urinals-Work-Facility-Management-Plumbing-Restrooms-Feature--10381
On 6/29/2016 3:39 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

99% of all questions can be answered by Google. That 1% is usually requesting from those with first hand experience.
On 29 Jun 2016, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote in alt.home.repair:

My local Ikea has them. They seem to work quite well - they're clean and odorless. I don't know if their use is company-wide or if it's because this particular store is built near a wetland.
On 6/29/2016 1:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I've seen and used them. I'm totally not impressed. In theory, if the bowl and pipes are made of the correct stuff (PVC?) there is no need for water to flush. Makes no sense, except to the enviro people who want to save the planet at the expense of common sense.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

They're needed where there is little or no water. The first place I went to was on the edge of a desert, near no town, and I'm sure there was no 'city' water, and it would have been hard to drill a succesful well, and not worth it either, just to provide for urinals and toilets. I didn't look at the toilet. Maybe they trucked in water for that. . There was no cafeteria either. Workers who wanted to drink water while there had to bring their own. They made have sold water or soda for tourists.
But the second one was right in the middle of town here, and it surprised me, and still does. It was Sloan, but the font they use made it look like SUDAN. I found the urinal on the Sloan page and it had no details at all.
On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 00:55:02 -0400, Micky

If you are in a place like this, who needs a toilet at all. Go outdoors and take a piss anywhere!!! If you have to take a shit, dig down 4 inches into the sand and do your job!
On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 01:29:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

It was an archeological park. Did you think about this before you posted? Would they build any bathroom at all in a place where people are alone? Or are you the sort who would relieve himself while people are watching?

Why do you assume there is sand? Maybe it's rock or hard soil. And why can't you write without vulgar words?