where to store bulbils

This year I have left scapes on a number of garlic plants, in part to give away (my garlic is very popular) and in part to get garlic shoots next spring. The bulbils have grown nicely and will be ready in a couple of weeks. Should I replant the bulbils right away, or store them, and if so, fridge or room temperature?

Reply to
simy1

I see that you didn't get an answer so I'll tell you what I do. I always leave several scapes. When they are mature, they will just crumble into individual bulbils in your hand when you give them a squeeze. I always just throw the hand full on the ground where I want some garlic in the future. I don't know what percentage makes it that way but I always have more than I need. You probably realize that a bulbil doesn't form a full garlic head the first year. Mine form one large clove. Those large single cloves form into a nice garlic the next season (bigger than a smaller clove taken out of a group). That's what I do but it doesn't fully answer your question. If you want to hold on to some bulbils to share with others, I'm pretty sure that room temperature would be fine. (think how long you can keep harvested garlic at room temperature.) Just make sure the bulbils get planted in the fall sometime if you don't want to plant them sooner.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Reply to
Steve

We store a lot of garlic bulbils as follows: They'll never grow after this method but, they make an extremely popular addition to a pickle tray at a party ;-).

Pickled Garlic Bulbils

1 liter water 1 liter garlic bulbils 15 ml pickling spice 500 ml white vinegar 250 ml water 150 grams granulated sugar 10 ml pickling salt

To make peeling the bulbils easier, bring the 1 liter of water to a boil. Add garlic bulbils to the boiling water, return to a boil then quench in ice water. Peel skins from bulbils. Meanwhile, tie pickling spice in cheesecloth bag or use large tea ball. Place all remaining ingredients in stainless steel saucepan, add pickling spices, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Remove pickling spices. Add peeled garlic bulbils to hot syrup and then quickly ladle into hot 250ml Mason jars. Affix lids and screw bands and process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

Yield: 4-250ml jars

Enjoy.

Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada. New AgCanada Zone 5b

43º17'15" North 80º13'32" West To email, remove the obvious from my address.
Reply to
RR

Now that I realize what you are talking about... I have left them on the porch all summer. Then I plant them in the late summer.

John!

simy1 wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead

thanks to all. I googled it and it seems that room temperature or in the ground are both fine. I don't want stuff in the ground in early october except for the beds with winter veggies (so I can freely dig and manure for the next season). I will keep them in a brown bag in the garage until mid october.

Reply to
simy1