Well head cover - necessary?

I just freecycled my big "wishing well" over my well head (didn't like the style). It protrudes a good 20" above the ground.

Is there some reason why a well cover is necessary?

Reply to
Banty

Depends. Do you drink, or cook with, the water from that well? Or do you just use it for watering the lawn?

Suppose that's your source of drinking water. Now picture a bird perching on your open well casing and s**tting in it. Or a mouse or chipmunk or some other small critter climbing up it -- yes, they can -- and falling in.

You tell me if you need a cover.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, of course there's a *cap* on it.

My question is - does it need more than that? Is there a reason to, for example, keep rain water away from it?

Banty

Reply to
Banty

No, not really, as long as the cap is weathertight. It's just a cosmetic issue. My well head is in the front yard; sticks up maybe 8 inches above ground. We spray-painted it dark green and planted flowers around it. *Twenty* inches, I think I'd want to build some sort of structure around, at least if it were in the front yard.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, you don't NEED it, but all else being equal, UV does rot all. If there is exposed plastic, I'd want some sort of shade over it. Didn't they use to sell fake hollow boulders for this sort of thing?

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Who said anything about plastic? Mine's iron.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes., Most local laws now require the well cover and may stipulate the height. Intent is to avoid contamination of the well, and any harmful influence on groundwater in general.

Reply to
Jacque Asse

Yes, these were made just for that purpose.

Edwin Pawlowski

Well thaaaankks.

My neighbors will love me if I get one a those..

Reply to
Banty