Weight of truck on concrete sidewalk

Don't know what your payment options are but I would certainly hold back enough funds to cover any damages until job is done and walk is undamaged.

Usually best around here to withhold all payments until job is complete.

Reply to
Frank

Nonsense.

I used to build swimming pools. Gunite rigs, slam-bangers, bobcats, dump trucks, cement trucks, plumbing trucks, etc. We all worked from the street unless specifically allowed closer access. The only thing that ever had to cross a sidewalk was the bobcat and a small caterpillar that excavated the hole and it was small enough to not break up the sidewalk unless it was poorly built. If the buyer wants to pay for new sidewalk, fine by me, but we never operated assuming that was an option.

We subbed the deck work and they called in cement mixers, but I never saw much of that. I do know many cement mixers had huge balloon tires that help distribute the weight.

nb

Reply to
notbob

There are benefits and disadvantages to doing things either way, but the OP already said the gutting would take a week and not months - so pay up! ;)

RicodJour

The contractor will need a trash disposal capacity on the building site throughout the entire project... During the demo phase the contractor will be frequently emptying the dump truck, during the building and finishing phases, the truck would only need to be emptied at the end of the day...

This sort of arrangement is *much* cheaper and safer than using a roll-off dumpster as those can not be left on the street overnight... The contractor already has this truck for use to deliver materials to the site and use to haul trash away -- his only costs to use this truck for those purposes are the fuel, maintenance and the driver... It gets *VERY* expensive to have a roll-off container swapped out several times a day... Moreso when you are dealing with neighborhood elements adding trash to it which you are paying to have hauled away...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

highly dependent upon location. when i built my house, there was a rolloff dumpster there 100% of the time. if you have to empty it multiple times/day, then it isn't big enough. get one larger for that phase, get a smaller one for later phases.

Reply to
chaniarts

I've done projects both ways and which particular way makes more sense is entirely dependent on the project and location, and ultimately dollars. You're making so many assumptions about many factors of which you have no knowledge, and coming to conclusions with such certitude it makes me wonder. You can sell yourself on anything you like without information, but I set the bar a little higher.

RicodJour

Only way to do it is to spread out the load with steel plating like the road dept uses. The contractor should be aware of this. Make sure he is and have it written that any damage is their responsibility.

Reply to
A. Baum

Too heavy for what? It will spread the load, preventing sidewalk or even lawn damage if a large enough piece is used.

Reply to
clare

ROFL...

Rico man, quit while you are ahead...

If ransley followed that advice he would have to pray that nothing ever leaked anywhere ever again -- lest the tenants be exposed to a raunchy mixture of wet fire damage and mold that would smell like a rancid BBQ...

Have to encapsulate the smoke/water damaged internals of the wall to head off any problems in the future...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

One unit burned, four had heavy smoke damage - those are not in question. He's asking about what to do about the marginal smoke areas. I gave him an option. So far you've told him to totally gut the place and replace all of the wiring and plumbing - that the fire was an 'opportunity'. He redid the apartments in 2007 and you want him to gut the place.

You're really good at spending other people's money on the intertubes, but the advice...not so much.

RicodJour