Weight of reinforced concrete ?

I hope this isn't OT, but I am doing it myself. I have been asked to transport a block of reinforced concrete. It is approx. 20 cu. metres and is supposedly 80 tonnes. This seems a bit on the heavy side to me, I had thought reinforced concrete was approx. 3 t/m which would give a weight of 60 tonnes (ish). I suppose it is a 'piece of string' question as I don't know the specification of the materials used. OTOH, could different mixes cause a weight increase of 25/30%? For info, the block is 'U' shaped and 3 metres in each direction. The central gap is 1m wide and approx. 2.5m high. The whole is supported on a steel frame for transportation. Overall dimensions & weight given include this steel frame.
Many thanks
Nick.

Yes. IIRC, there are concretes made from lead-bearing minerals that are double the weight of ordinary. (used for radiation shielding)

If you speak to the quarries, you can buy "stone" and "hard stone", stone being limestone, and hardstone being someting heavier.
I suggest this may be the source of the extra weight.
If its wet, then it will also weight more. The wet RC35, thats I made reinfoced concrete with, was quoted as being between 2.25 and 2.5 tonnes a cube, buy the delivery driver.
If you want to be sure, knock a chunk off, work out its volume, (by displacement) and weitgh it. You then get the density.
Rick

Thanks Rick,
I suspect the client would not be best impressed if I was to knock a chunk off!

Thanks Ian,
that may well be the case here.

Barium I think, rather then lead. Barytes makes the aggregate. Good neutron absorber and also heavy.

The radiation shielding grouts we made just contained steel shot, we have three density's, 4.3, 4.8 and 5.3.
--
David

not_of_this_world wrote:

The steel is pretty heavy stuff you know, Concrete is 2-3tons a cu meter, but steel is far heavier.
Is your name atlas? Or are you actually using a vehicle rather than doing it yourself? ;-)

The weight of the steel I can calculate almost exactly, otherwise Yes >::>)o<0
Thanks A notw