waterproofing a wooden planter

Wife has a couple of wooden planters that she wants to line with plastic
sheet to protect the wood but I wonder if a spray product might be
better. Flex seal, seen on tv, looks like it would work but it's too
expensive. Can I use a spray on truck bedliner product? The planters
will have flowers, not anything that we would eat, if that makes a
difference.
Reply to
Obiwan
Fiberglass resin, thin, painted on with a brush. Could put in a few small PVC couplings or similar in holes in the bottom so that excess water can run out without rotting the wood.
Reply to
trader_4
Not that I can see. These are about 14 inches wide and 32 inches long, sort of the shape of a horse trough, if you remember those from old westerns.
Reply to
Obiwan
So get a larger bag and cut it down.
They range in size up to those big honkin' heavy duty 55 gallon mf'ers...or outdoor leaf/yard debris bags or even those contractor cleanup bags which are even bigger and heavier gauge ;-)
Reply to
Wade Garrett
Wife likes that idea very much. We never worked with fiberglass before but it seems similar to epoxy.
Found this one on Amazon

Reply to
Obiwan
Might work but I would put in some fiberglass scrim to keep it intact from thermal expansion and contraction.
Reply to
Frank
She's opposed to any kind of plastic liner, such as garbage bags or the heavy plastic that we have in a roll. She wants something that she won't accidentally rip or poke holes in as she's gardening.
Reply to
Obiwan
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 06:29:52 -0400, Bob Vela wrote:
I have never seen that in 4 x 8 sheets ! .. so I checked-out Lowes ...

.. they make you guess at the width and thickness - :-) :-) quite a useful web description - DUH ! but it does say 8 ft. long at least ... One of the customer comments said 1/4 x 6 inch x 8 ft. @ $ 40. John T.
Reply to
hubops
Many years ago I had a redwood picnic table on my deck that started to rot in places so I took it apart and made a planter out of it to grow tomatoes. I had lined it with polyethylene to keep water in. It lasted several years but eventually rotted out as I think eventually any wooden product would. OP wants to use what he has and should at least get a few years use. I ended up with large plastic pots that lasted a long time and were still in use until I got my new Trex deck when I decided to remove them.
Reply to
Frank
Cedar or treated wood planter boxes should last for years if sized to to hold a plastic planter - with breathing room between the plastic planter and the sides & bottom of the box. . and, of course proper drainage holes in the bottom. This method seems so much better ; long-lasting ; and easier on the gardener - less fuss. John T.
Reply to
hubops

Site Timeline Threads