Water under kitchen cabinets

Hi,

I've lived in my 'new' home for about 8 months now. The house is 20 years old, so I knew I'd find some flaws once I started doing some DIY projects.

My first appliance to go out is the dishwasher, so I moved it and found water along with lots of rotten wood behind the cabinets. I did replace the dish washer because it was leaking, but this water damage is rather old. If the dishwasher wasn't the cause of the water, I still need to find where it's coming from.

Short of ripping out the cabinets, what are my options? There is no water under the sink (which is directly to the right of the dishwasher), but the outside water outlet is just behind this wall.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
Alex

snipped-for-privacy@totallynerd.com (Alex) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Does the outdoor spigot look newer than the rot?

You wouldn't need to rip out the cabinets, just cut a hole through the back. (It's behind the dishwasher and it's already rotten. Hmmm tough call)

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out

NJBrad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

Let me guess, your house is built on a slab instead of a basement. Otherwise your outside spigot would be coming out of a basement wall and not behind the dishwasher. I had this problem with a house in Arizona and it was caused by a water pipe springing a leak under the slab. The water bubbled up where the slab and outside wall met and by coincidence it was under the dishwasher. Your "old" water damage may have happened before you bought house and perhaps the previous owner repaired the leak but not the damaged wood. Is there any evidence that the kitchen floor was broken up at one time and replaced. Or as in my case, I had the water pipe rerouted along the outside wall as there was no need to worry about frozen pipes in the Winter. This is something the seller of the house would or should have told you about in the disclosure statement most Realtors now use. I fixed it right and made sure there was no mold problem so had no problem disclosing it but did worry a little that prospective buyers or their insurance companies would not be so understanding.

Reply to
Tom