Water Softener lifetime question

hi,

i know this is all relative to the hardness of the water in the area, but i will try to provide some statistics that will help solve this 'issue'.

i have a kenmore water softener that is about 3 years old, in my home with wife and daughter, and it runs all the water with the exception of 2 outside faucets. our water is about a 9 in hardness and it is gahanna city water, or maybe its columbus ohio water. anyway, how long can i expect this softener to perform? i think it was the model that is rated between 35000 and 39000, or somewhere in that range.

the reason that i ask, is that lately it seems like our water is not as soft as when the unit was installed. is there any good advice to get the water softer again? i have turned up the hard water setting so taht it recharges more frequently.

thanks in advance,

fish

Reply to
fish

do you have iron in your water? i owned a system once that had to be periodically flushed with "iron out". the iron plugged the resin bed and it quit softening the water. there really isn't that much to a softener---they can last for many years. best bet might be to call a softener company. some will give you free advice if you're a DIYer.

Reply to
marson

Yup i'm a diy'er, so maybe i will go to the store and look for some stronger chemicals to flush the unit with.

thx marson

Reply to
fish

I'll guess it is Gahanna water as I don't think Columbus delivers any water hard enough to need additional softening at the home. What they get from the south well fields is softened before it is pumped.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan