Water filter Question

Greetings,

I've been lookig at the big box store's two stage under sink water filters- the GE GXSV65F and the Whirlpool WHED20.

What I'm wondering, since I really want to mount the filters in the basement under the kitchen, and tee the icemaker into the filtered water line to the sink, is can I do the same filtering job using standard filter housings and cartridges, and maybe get a little longer between cartridge changes, and not be tied to GE or Whirlpool replacement cartridges?

Thanks, DP

Reply to
dellphinus

Sure. I have mine in the basement too for the same reason. Easier to change also. IMO, under sink is the last resort if you have another spot easier to access.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

OK, I guess I didn't ask the real question- what type housings and cartridges will qive me equivalent performance to the ones I mentioned? From what I've been able to see in the catalogs (Grainger), it looks like a 5 micron and a .5 micron carbon block would be equivalnet, but I'm really just guessing based on reading what the above units calim to reduce, and what the cartridges claim to reduce.

Reply to
dellphinus

Any housing that takes the standard 10" cartridge will work the same. I've been using the GE carbon filters because they are readily available but others will work also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski