Installing Water Filter

I want to install a water filter under the sink and use a handle mounted through a hole in the sink. I have a porcelain over cast iron sink. How do I drill the hole?

TIA.

Reply to
Markus J

"Markus J" wrote

Very carefully and precisely. You have to cut through the porcelain and then drill through the cast. The tool is called a cutter rather than a drill bit. It's actually a combination of the two. You can search for Relton cutters but they are very pricey. I have used a carbide tipped cutter with a pilot drill bit. Slow and steady is the way and the problem you want to prevent is cracking of the porcelain.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

Markus,

There are punches for cutting holes - two very heavy metal cylinders which work against each other through a hole you first drill in the middle. If this turns out to be the recommended way of doing it, you might be able to rent one (they are expe$ive).

My thoughts are that the easiest way to find out what is the preferred method is to see who sells one and get a manufacturers telephone number - then ask them. I bought a similar sink from Home Depot... .

Good luck.

Steve

Markus J wrote:

Reply to
Stephen Kurzban

I don't understand.... Why not just install a water filter in the cold water line under the sink ?

????

Reply to
Anonymous

You don't. You hook up the filter to the cold water line and run all your cold water through it. Making a hole and separate tap is going to be more costly in the long run, especially if you ruin the porcelain.

I replace the cartridge in mine about every three months. Some can even go longer. If you have access tot he cold water line in the basement, that is a better place to put the filter. Easier access and less concerns about water dripping during the filter change. I have an Insta-Pure by Water pick. Easy to install and maintain. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

"Stephen Kurzban" wrote

What you are describing can only be used on stainless steel sinks, not cast iron.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

"" wrote

Carbon block type cartridges need a flow control that limits the flow to .5 gpm and the faucet runs higher than that. The reason for the flow control is to provide proper contact time for the things in water that can be absorbed and/or adsorbed, to be absorbed and/or adsorbed or they remain in the water.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

His cartridge will be removing more things and more of them than yours due to his increased contact time and use of a carbon block cartridge. He has a true drinking water filter and will only need or want to treat his drinking and cooking water, hence the separate faucet. And I and other dealers drill holes in his type sink for filters and RO systems all the time.