Wanted: dead security camera

I need one of those security cameras that are bigger than a loaf of bread. Just as a deterrent to put on a road leading to private cabins. Got one? Wanna sell it? Reply, and I'll tell you how to contact me.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Just got a supercircuits cataloge today, 34.99 for a 5.6 x 4.5 x 9" outdoor camera housing box, maybe an empty box will do it, they wont know.

Reply to
ransley

Get a dead video camera (yard sale). Add a blinking LED, wires and battery. People ACT differently IF they think the are being recorded.

One guy looked at the red light and stopped his derogatory comment.

In this case it was a real video!

Reply to
Oren

Try MPJA.com. They sell all sorts of amusing second-tier electronic goods at decent prices, including faux security cameras. You can even get a little solar panel and battery, to make the red light glow till at least midnight. I wouldn't even mess with an old-style camera- just get one of those dark-chrome ball enclosures like most modern outdoor cameras are in, and mount it on a bracket on tree, with a 'security camera in use' sign below it. Pass the hat among the neighbors, and get one of those cameras deer hunters strap to trees, and you can even get digital photos of the young lovers or thieves invading your freehold.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

try a local hamfest, lots of security cameras dirt cheap

bob haller

There are seven cabins in our area. I am the only one with fake cameras on it. Five of the seven have been broken into over the last three seasons. Mine has not. I want to put one up at the entrance gate to deter thieves.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Have considered a motion camera. Trouble is, either they shoot it or steal it.

In Arlington, Texas, in the 60's IIRC, they had one of the first cameras that would take a picture of a speeding car. The local bubbas would drive by at 10 under the speed limit and pepper it with #2 goose pellets. They replaced it once, and after that, took it down.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Here's a dummy camera. $4.50. Harbor Freight

Here's another with flashing red light and steam calliope playing the Star Spangled Banner while a hundred cheerleaders do a strip-tease and 1,000 Boy Scouts are awarded the Medal of Honor. It's $20.00.

If you're gonna put it in a tree, perhaps add a dummy antenna?

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, it may be outside your proposed budget, but some of those hunter cameras are damn near invisible, with IR flashes on them. Put it high up enough on the trunk so they can't reach it, and the odds are they would never even see it. 'Woodland' patterned case and straps, etc. Lug on case for a bike lock. They could still destroy it with firearms, of course, if they saw it, but it is pretty stealthy. If there was also a real obvious dummy camera right in the field of view, they probably would not look any further, and you would have them right in position for a good snapshot. On the backside of a tree, pointing upstream, is always a good spot. Better for getting license plates as well. Sort of like placing antipersonnel mines.

I having been drooling over the cheap ones at Sam's club for the last several years, just for the wildlife in my back yard. (no theft problems here in 4 years since I moved in.) But my coveted toy list is pretty long, and the list of stuff the house actually needs never seems to get shorter. Even without a SWMBO, this place is a constant hole in my wallet.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

We live on the edge of the wilderness. In summer, we have coyotes in the front yard. I sympathize with you and empathize, too. I'd like a very nice camera, as I always tend to go for quality stuff, but then think of the tools or supplies I could buy and build real things.

Or do honeydos ....................... sigh ................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"HeyBub" wrote in news:avCdnXdaXODIxNzXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Another from HF @ $20.

Red Green

HarborFreight has one on sale this month in the retail stores. I don't know if the sale price is valid on the website or not.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

At the gate place a conspicuous sign.

"Thieves will be shot, survivors are shot again"

Reply to
Oren

Stores will honor a cheaper web-site price. Print the page and take it with you.

Reply to
HeyBub

Ha! The Orbis? I drove past that thing on 303 every day back around

1975. After the first 6 months it was common knowledge it was an empty case. Still scared the non-local traffic.
Reply to
RB