Very OT - Computers

First question--what do you want to do with it that your current machine can't do. If the answer is "nothing" then don't bother to replace it.

Next, for what you describe just about any current model Dell will be fine, as will any current model Gateway--I'd avoid HP and Compaq (same company, different labels) as they tend to be quirky.

If service is your _major_ concern then get a Lenovo (which used to be IBM) and pay for the on-site service--if you don't have a service contract IBM service is kind of so-so, but if you _have_ a service contract you get treated pretty much the same as if you had a multi-million-dollar mainframe. Not a _cheap_ alternative though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The weakening battery on the motherboard can cause this, but as it gets weaker one would loose the BIOS setting and have to reset them.

Years ago a virus was known to cause the CD to act like this. It was a nuisance more than a file damaging virus and now hardware damaging ones.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

If it's just the drive letter that's something you set in Windows Disk Management.

Should set it up to periodically reset itself against an NTP server.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I was a head tech for a retail company that built their own machines. I still build my own (because I want specific stuff in my machines) but for the average user (personal and business) you simply cannot beat the dell machines. In my current job (IT educational) all be buy for the schools are Dell workstations and servers. I absolutely LOVE the stuff with their warranties. I am not a big fan of their printer line (all lexmark crap that I dont like) but the workstations are excellent.

I know some people blame their Dell computer for all sorts of shit. But honestly I have seem all sorts of different makes and models of machines over the years and they are all prone to problems with the operating system screwing up the machine (make it slower, etc) Todays enemy is spyware, adware etc. Its can slow down that machine to a crawl if you have enough crap on there.

When looking at the quality of a computer, you have to ask yourself how many times has the drives blown, monitor crapped out, etc. (Power supplies are questionable because their life span depends on the cleanliness of the users work area. Dust and smoke kills fan on power supplies and CPU's.)

I would recommend going to sites like

and search for Dell. You can find great deals on Dell stuff.

I would make sure to at least get a 2Ghz processor, 1 gig of ram, DVD-RW, 3 1/2 Floppy (lots of machines dont come with them) a nice 17" flat panel monitor. And at least a 32meg video card. More if you have the funds available. The warranties can be upped to if you got the cash.

Tom

Cor> Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here

Reply to
tksirius

These are hardware minimums from their site. Ordinarily, that means to get it booted and running.

Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1. 1 GB of system memory. A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2. 128 MB of graphics memory. 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space. DVD-ROM Drive3. Audio output capability. Internet access capability.

Any NT based OS loves to have more CPU, more RAM and more drive space. All of this a faster than before. I'm enjoying SATA drives now. I suspect IDE drives will leave us soon.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

Unfortunately, the "local guy" is a mutt. You might find the best local guy on the planet, but that does not translate into a useful source for someone in another city.

Most "local guys" are fly-by-night operators. Some last more than a few years. Dell and several others have been around for quite a while and have a reputation based on a large volume of sales.

I would recommend the local guy I trust to a local buyer. For a buyer far away, the best advice is to buy from the bigger companies if they can't do the homework to find the ideal local guy.

I've had a Dell for quite a few years. Without question, it's been the most reliable desktop computer I've used at home or work over the last 25 years. Dell might be a tad more expensive than the local guy, but they are worth it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I think Dell are very good computers. We had about 70 desktops in our local network and maybe as many as 10,000 running on a national network level. I have seen maybe two that failed right out of the box. Each a dead hard drive, so Dell sent overnight new drives without having to send in the old beforehand. You will get good directions for setting up the machine.

E-mail, browsing the web, and small programs are not that taxing on the system. Video, Music and Photo editing is another thing. I suggest a mid-range system, based on your comment.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

Corinne, I've not had a problem that would be noticable to enough to not recommend any PC that I've bought from a major vendor, with the exception of what I have "heard" about Packard-Bell models (and I'm not sure if they are even still in business). I've had Gateways, Dell's, HP's, and IBM's in the past.

Your anticipated use description does not require a top-of-the-line model, but sometimes those requirements change. As for waiting for Vista, in my experience, it is rare that MS delivers on a shipping date (currently into 2007 for Vista) and even more rare for a new version to be worth the hassle (bugs, patches, etc.), especially for a new user. Windows XP (the current version) should suffice for your use.

My advice:

- become familiar with basic terms and information. You do not need to be an expert but should know some basics, like the difference between RAM and a hard drive. Google "how to buy a computer" and read some of the hits. If you have questions or would like something clarified, post to this thread as a follow up.

- if you don't have a local resource to assist you (or relative, etc.), call the major vendors (HP, Dell and Gateway...and check if they have an "outlet" store nearby) and compare their offers so that you can reduce your risk related to the next item...

- be wary of the "xxx model for $499" advertisements, as many times they are underpowered and the components to add to make them decent are overpriced by the vendor. By calling and talking to more than one vendor, you can make a more educated assessment of what is included and/or what upgrades would cost

- be wary of "shiny" throw-ins...that nice photo printer may not shine as brightly when you find out the maintenance cost for special paper, toner/ink, etc. I know several people who received "free" printers but never used them once they saw that their "free" printer cost $30 each time the toner ran out, or worse, dried before it was all used. If, for example, photos are of interest, you can upload and then get them sent to your door from snapfish or other vendors for $.10-.15 a print or less. Some home printers can cost you $.50 or more for a print.

- more often than not, RAM (or "memory") is a good thing to upgrade on those "$xxx models). In order of preference...do it yourself (or a relative) after-the-purchase, have a local PC vendor do it for you (who has a vested interest doing this for a reasonable price for future business), or have the PC upgraded when you purchase.

- unless you are planning on significant software usage (hundreds of music files, home video, etc.) the standard disk you will get will probably suffice for what you described and can be upgraded in the future for less than an immediate factory upgrade. 40GB would probably suffice, 80GB would probably be the absolute highest you probably need to go (depending on what they're trying to sell.

- remember that anything is negotiable. Many times, simply asking for a better price is all that is necessary to get something knocked off, or at least another freebie thrown in. If you are persistent, you can increase your reward but it depends on how long you want to play the game and what you're trying to get (shipping can be expensive and is something that might be very good to have removed from the final invoice).

If you have additional questions, post follow ups and take your time. It can become very expensive, but there are people willing to help.

Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

I would, however, probably make sure my new one could be upgraded to Vista, after the inevitable service pac or two. If you are going to keep it more than a 2-3 years, that ability will probably be useful.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

My inlaws are all Dell customers, probably about 20 machines between them. So far so good. The support is OK but be prepared to spend some time on the phone. I am a hardware hacker guy so I am not a real fan but that is only because Dell uses so many proprietary parts that upgrading and building machines from parts is harder to do. They even changed the pinouits of the power supplies, not for any logical reason, just to be different. Memory sticks are harder to match up too. If you are a person who never opens the case, a Dell is a good choice.

Reply to
gfretwell

Even though it seems randome, it's probably not. Generally it opens when you bring a drink to the desk. And btw, in Apple they may call it a CD drawer, but Dell calls it a cup holder.

Did anyone replace the cup holder?

Reply to
mm

vista requires minimum of one gig of memory and prefeably 2 gig minimum.

ME I use 1 gig processor old HP Vectra busimness computers bought off e bay for 50 bucks each.

nice and roomy no overheating easy service access and reliable. did max out memory on each one, and run on FIOS 5MB IT does the job for us

Reply to
hallerb

Apple's Mac Mini, especially if you already have a monitor. Eliminate the concern abotu viruses and malware, easy to use, lots of software, and if you absolutely must run Windows rather than the Mac OS, you can!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

The transfer is easy, even after having Wdows legacy back to the days of the PCjr (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Time sync is built in to XP.

Reply to
HeyBub

Also check walmart.com. About 5% cheaper than Dell for equivalent boxes.

Walmart's computers are made with commodity parts; Dell has a lot of proprietary stuff. If the generic, Walmart, computer breaks, you replace the defective/busted part with an off-the-shelf item. If the Dell machine falters, many times it's off to Dell.

Absent special needs (like high-end gaming or video editting), a swell machine is going to cost you $400. Worst case scenario, then, if it really croaks, throw it away and buy another.

See:

for an example.

Reply to
HeyBub

I was wondering when someone would step forward to suggest Apple Computer. Obviously, I was too chicken to do it myself.

iMac and Mac mini, for their desktop systems, have been upgraded to use the new Intel processors. Mac OS X, built on Unix, is amazingly ROCK SOLID. iPhoto, iWeb, iMovie, iDVD are included with new systems.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Not necessary, just more fog. They won't have the bugs out of Vista for at least 2 more years. Then she should need to buy all new programs to make Vista of value to her. Besides, if she really doesn't know anything about computers she won't need Vista until she buys another computer.

You need as much memory as possible, 1G because it is sometimes difficult (and expensive) to add more memory. But hard drive size above 60-80 G is useless for most people unless they are doing video. (I have 120G and finally have about 13G used after 4 years). Besides you can add a USB drive for backups and more storage easily and prices continue to drop.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Respectfully disagree on service. iT SUX!

I'm on my 2nd Dell, but doubt if I'll buy another if the service continues to deteriorate. This has been reported on extensively in the computer, and even the general, media. Dell is still cutting back on service.

I bought my first Dell years ago because the leading computer mags said it had the best service. As a (then) fairly new user, that was important to me. Well, the years have gone by, the service has been outsourced to beautiful downtown Bangalore, and no matter how hard the Indian techs try, I never get the help I need, and don't think I should have to spend so much time on the phone. BTW, it gets embarrassing to have to ask them to spell words, because their accent removal charm school has a way to go!

Just my .02

Reply to
Superannuated

And it (the same program) will also act as a time server (making the time obtained above available to other computers on your network). This is ON by default.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd