k!

I may have seen some people wearing those. The vast majority are two or three layers of ordinary cotton or polyester fabric.

I forgot something in my previous post:

The mask is not to protect you from other people. It is to protect other people from you.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

In 3M terminology, the PPE medical type is a 'respirator' and the 'source control' type is a 'mask'.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Yes, that's what I have, but only 3 of them. Two that are pretty clean and one that was somewhat dirty. I got them at the hardware store so I woudn't breathe in the fiberglass insulation in my attic (even though it's been there for 40 years and anything floating around has probably been blown out of the attic 39 years ago.)

Also they are about 5 years old and the rubber bands have broken so I bought new elastic.

That's what they say but I think they are referring to all the masks except the one above, which iiuc works in both directions. Unfortunately there are still none for sale to the public.

The url I posted , which you may not have seen/read yet, has a long article but I haven't read the whole thing yet.

Reply to
micky

Its actually doing both. That’s why those doing the tests and treating the infected wear them.

Reply to
Rod Speed

FromTheRafters

Irrelevant to the scientific fact on that question.

That’s why those doing the tests and treating the infected wear them.

They don’t wear masks because the tester or medical person may be infected.

They wear masks so they don’t get infected, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

A N-95 respirator is not a rag across your face. They also wear face shields, gown and gloves and all of that stuff is thrown away when they take it off, not wadded up and saved in their pocket for next time. Some still get infected.

Reply to
gfretwell

You are the only one flagrantly dishonestly thrashing that straw man.

Irrelevant to why they wear masks.

Irrelevant to why they wear masks.

You are free to not do that, f****it.

Because nothing is perfect, f****it.

They still wear the mask to reduce the risk of getting infected.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Ah, that explains it. So the N95 "masks" are respirators, not really masks.

Very good to know.

But now I'm afraid of the "laser and electrocautery plume." I hate plume.

Reply to
micky

A respirator can be a mask but a mask can't be a respirator is the way I read that. There are N-95 and even N-99 masks. That is not that thing Costco gives you and it is not anything Nanna ran up on her trusty old Singer out of old Grateful Dead T shirts.

Reply to
gfretwell

You raise an inter. point. If they would sell that material that's used in the n95 masks, lots of people could be sewing their own.

Is it all allocated? Maybe they should build a new factory to make more n95 material.

Reply to
micky

micky was thinking very hard :

Lots of people are stupid.

Their distinction (as manufacturers) seems to be the ability to form a good seal against the face so all 'air' goes through the filter. They also make combination respirator masks to function as PPE and source control.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

We'd all have free, effective masks by now if we had a competent, fit president that cares about saving lives.

Reply to
trader_4

They are not washable, in fact you are supposed to use an N-95 once and throw it away in a medical setting. Even sanding and grinding, they don't last long until they plug up. I can use 2 a day if I am working on a project and I am not sanding all of that time.

Reply to
gfretwell

Makes a lot more sense to have a massive great building full of people in china sewing them instead with some quality control on how its done.

Reply to
invalid unparseable