Slightly more then a year ago I bough very expesive Sharp convection
microwave. It has been working great till last week when it suddenly
stopped working. Table does not rotate and microwave or convection does
not heat. What can be the problem and how best to fix it?
Is there no power to anything, it might be an internal replacable fuse.
Last year I bought a microwave because my 12 yr old unit smelled a bit
like it was burning up, well what I bought last year caught fire, they
dont make things very well anymore. Yesterday I bought a dehumififier,
its going back, I can smell something burning, cheap chinese 2$ junk
UNPLUG the MW first,for safety.
Don't wear any rings or metal bracelets that could short something,and
conduct electricity into you or heat up and burn you.
Also,the big capacitor can store a very hazardous charge.
Then,the fuse may blow again,because the problem that blew the first fuse
was not corrected.
If you have no experience of repair, I strongly suggest you do NOT,
under any circumstances, poke about in the microwave. there are
capacitors there which hold a possibly lethal charge even after the
unit is disconnected. Even trained technicians have been killed working
on such units, as they are easily the most dangerous of the domestic
electronics to work on, owing to high voltages and currents involved.
Replacing the fuse is unlikely to cure the problem, as fuses almost
always blow for a reason (usually a short in the appliance, further
down the line) and the fuse opening up prevents life threatening
situations arising and possible fire. Chances are, you'll replace it
and it will blow out again, since in treating the symptoms, you won't
have fixed the cause.
Get the unit to a trained technician for your own safety!
(for future reference, see www.repairfaq.org for more tips.)
The microwave light goes on and it starts whizzing normally as if it is
working as usual except the table does not rotate and it does not heat.
I just don't know where to bring it for repair. I am also afraid that
possible repair would cost so much that makes no sense related to
microwave. I would rather replace the fuse myself. If it is blown again
I know there is more fundamental problem. I believe the fuse is
designed to be replaced, isn't it?
reverend firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
On 13 Jul 2006 08:47:22 -0700, reverend email@example.com wrote:
Since there was no power to the microwave its capacitors would not be
charged. Just unplug it and work on it the next day in case you are
still worried. I had worked on heavy metal computers, commercial
kitchen equipment as well super strength as oilfield stuff. I have
never come across an instance where someone was killed or even badly
hurt from being zapped by a capacitor.
If it crapped out within a year get a free replacement. Keep proof
of purchase. If older its only a fuse and easy enough for you to give
it a shot at DIY repair. If the fix doesn't work you are not out by
much. Don't spend any more time on it. A new microwave is cheap,
certainly cheaper than a shop estimate let alone getting a technician
to repair it.
Any item under $300 is not worth repairing. Any item costing more
than $300 better be reliable or else the vendor would go bankrupt
servicing them. That's why (when under warranty) he gives you a brand
new TV set, dumps the old one and gets his credit from the
manufacturer. Same with the microwave. Crappy equipment gets dumped
promptly and the manufacturer faces the prospect of losing his
precious retail shelf space besides having to bear the loss of already
shipped merchandise. That's why one can expect reliable and yet very
affordable products on the shelves these day. Don't hang on to any
equipment that requires complicated repairs.
It seems to be a large MW,and very new,so repairs and parts are certainly
available;check the papers that came with your oven(you did save them?) for
local service centers,or Google the manufacturer,and check their site for
authorized service centers in your area.Perhaps the store that sold you the
oven has a service department.
They will give you an estimate of the repair costs,and it may be possible
to email the manufacturer and complain (nicely) about the oven dying so
soon after the warranty period;maybe they will "comp" the repair bill.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.