Vegetable sprayer

Usually the diverter valve is a small piece unside the faucet assembly.

We had a similar problem with our kitchen sink spray nozzle a couple of years ago.

I replaced the diverter valve with no improvement.

Turned out to be a simple problem. The rubber sealing washer between the end of the hose and the spray nozzle had swollen so much that it was strangling the flow. All I had to do is ream the center hole in that washer larger and "Bob's your uncle". (Too bad I can't fix my 69 year old prostate gland as easily myself.)

Try looking at the spray head first, It's usually removeable ftom the hose by unscrewing a knurled fitting by hand. If you can get a good flow from the hose when you open a faucet, the problems in likely in the spray head otself, maybe something as simple as that swollen washer in ours.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

There's some pictures here:

I didn't directly answer your question regarding "how" they work. The diverter valve acts as a "switch track" for the water flow and it's designed with unbalanced areas exposed to water pressure. When the path through the hose and spray head is open, water preferentially flows through that patch and the valve closes off the path through the faucet spout.

When working correctly the diverter valve has a toggling action. A small amout of flow as through a clogged hose or spray nozzle won't flip it, but once beyond a threshold flow the diverter valve "snaps" and closes off flow through the faucet spout.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Unscrew the spray head from the hose (no tool normally needed). Point the hose toward the drain and turn the water on. If water comes out the hose the spay head is clogged. You can try soaking it in vinegar overnight or just buy a new one.

If that doesn't work there is an obstruction where the hose exits the faucet. Usually can be cleared with a flexible wire once the hose is removed. Both problems are caused by sediment in the water supply and hard water build-up.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Hi, Our kitchen sink has one of this which never worked. If I squeeze handle, faucet flow almost stops but no water comes out the sprayer nozzle, jusyt dribble. Can some one give me a pointer how this thing works? Some kind of diverter valve under the sink? Is it fixable? Not missing the working sprayer much, just curious. TIA, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Jeff Thanks, something to do for the week end, hi. Tony (VE6CGX, Class of '65 EE, Fist #3919)

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Turn on the faucet. Aim the sprayer at your face and press the button. See if your face gets water on it.

Reply to
FlavorFlav

If it's the same model as mine, the answer is this:

Remove the cap nut nut at the center of the spout pivot

Remove the spout (can't remember if you really have to)

Turn the water on slightly (either one) and a plastic and rubber cartridge should lift out of the center where the spout went on

Tap the cartridge on the counter to remove specks of sand and dirt and such

Put the spout back on, and turn on one faucet, and then the other one to flush out the system

Remove cap from spout pivot, and put the cartridge back in

Reassemble and test. Please let me know if th is does it for you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon