Unusual oven igniter problem

I found out that the reason why my oven wouldn't come up to temperature was that the igniter wasn't glowing on my Jenn Air JGS 8850ADQ gas range. The reason it heated up at all was that this unit has a 110v helper element at the top of the oven.

What makes it unusual was that when I inspected the igniter I couldn't find anything wrong. No breaks and got an ohm reading that wasn't infinity. So I put the multi-meter over to ac V and turned on the oven and got 110v coming out of the wires that feed the igniter.

I put it back together and everything worked. Why? I don't know.

The wife says it started acting up after she did a self cleaning cycle, but the plug I removed and replaced is far out of the oven cavity and it seemed secure when I took it apart.

Do you think the igniter is going bad or was it just the connection at the plug?

I'd hate to spend $45 just to find out it was the connection all along.

Reply to
CraigT

Probably the connection was slightly corroded. I would carefully clean the connections and see if it happens again.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

G'day,