converting a furnace from natural gas to propane

Hi. I have a sunroom in my house that's heated on its own separate furnace, which is likely about 20 years old but has been used only sporadically and appears to be in good condition. I'm removing the sunroom, and was thinking about converting the furnace to lp gas and setting it up in my garage. The garage is difficult to get a gas line into, plus I'm installing a gas fireplace and am just about maxed out on how many gas appliances I have already. I don't need the garage heated all that often, but would sure like to be able to fire up a furnace when I need to.

Is it easy to convert the furnace to propane? and is it worth it?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
maurice

cvall the furnace manufacturer and see if the parts are available. with a 20 year old furnace it might be a problem.

have you priced propane and tanks to run a furnace? I would run a natural gas line or use a portable LP bullet heater for occasional use

Reply to
hallerb

At that age changing out the orifices would be very difficult even if it were ever possible. I doubt it's worth it.

I'd get one of these which'd be a lot more flexible and compact:

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Thanks for the advice, both posters.

I was wondering if it was possible, only because I don't want to throw away a perfectly good furnace, and I know this thing is probably only worth $100. I didn't want to use a space heater, because I will only use it occasionally, but when I do, I'd like to be able to heat it quickly.

Tank price isn't a problem, I have a couple of portable tanks I can use, and shouldn't have to refill all that often if I'm not using it often (probably only about once a week, for 6-8 hours.)

I'll check with the manufacturer to see if I can get parts, in any event.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it works out.

Maurice

Reply to
maurice

LP each and probably way more. Will need multiple tanks too.

To get a idea look at the size of the supply line to your furnace, they use a LOT of gas..

Too small tanks wouldnt be able to supply enough BTUs to get the heat exchanger hot enough for good heat transfer and worse you will empty those tanks fast:(

Had a friend with a serious house fire in winter, utilities cut off for safety.

Bought a nice big bullet heater so we could work. didnt do much with those 20 pund tanks.

ended up buying a small bullet heater to spot heat one room at a time

Reply to
hallerb

Well, I'm getting the sense that I can't talk myself into this! I'll look into the cost of bringing in a gas line, or else take your advice on a new propane heater. Thanks for your help (and likely saving me a pile of dough!)

Maurice

Reply to
maurice