Uh oh...Hurricane Sandy headed right for me

I wondered if the bottles split, when the water expands, forming ice. Guess not, or people would say so.

.

Bottled water seems to keep better than stuff you bottle at home. I suppose it is because bottled water is sterilized as are the bottles.

It is best to just watch for sales and buy bottled water then

We usually have 10-12 cases sitting around all summer, just for the hurricane season. I also keep both freezers packed with bottles of water topping it up when we have a storm coming. Those will hold the fridge for quite a while, they are handy in a cooler and in the end, they are still drinking water.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sure beats being hungry, and having only cold food. Very good idea.

.

One year when I was a political campagin worker staying in a basically empty apartment, I used sterno and a grill to cook. I had to move the can around to cook any food bigger than 2 inches, but other than that, it worked. I don't remember if there was a slight sterno taste to the food or not.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have regular water shortages, in my street. Same deal, old pipes, and not well maintained.

.

But I'm not saving water because of rain and wind. I only do this when a repair to the water main. is scheduled. We have a lot of those because the builder didn't use flexible water main pipe, and the gravel he laid the pipe on was probably not small enough either.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nope, those half liter bottles do fine in the freezer, the only problem is the bottom rounds out and they won't stand up again, even after they thaw out. They won't ever get back to flat.

We always end up with a couple dozen frozen at the end of hurricane season. I rotate them through the cooler and back into the fridge throughout the winter boating season. A couple in the cooler will keep the beer cold for hours. They are also good if you are packing sandwiches since they don't fill the cooler with water and drown the sandwiches as they melt,

Reply to
gfretwell

sday).

This is going to be a little more widespread than that one, too. Indy Power is sending a bunch of trucks to standby in W. Va. for the lines brought down by the blizzards.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I'd suggest it for washing and flushing. But, store up some tap water for food and drinking. Supposedly, girardia is every where. Diarrhea is never welcome, but less so during a crisis.

.

What do you all thinlk about my drinking water from the stream behind my house? It only goes another 3 miles west of here, through areas with single family homes. and a few apartments.

Would the only contamination be weed and insect poison applied to lawns and shrubs etc? Wouldn't that be washed off and washed away by October 30?

There used to be little crayfish living in the stream, and nothing much seems to have changed since then, but I haven't been to that part of the stream lately.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And, we'll send you a bill for all the help you sent us. We need the money.

.

I haven't seen it on the news but I'll bet some crews are coming from The Southern Company here in The Southeast to help the Damn Yankees with their little wind storm. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We also get crews from Quebec too. Problem is, they filled the wires with puissance électrique

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Bought a few things, today. Asked at Dollar Tree, what are the fast movers.

Flashlights, batteries Bottled water Snacks.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

Still sunny here in heathen San Francisco, where God has blessed us once again. Oh, and the Giants won the World Series, too.

Reply to
David Kaye

wrote

The warning went out DAYS ago that the storm was headed right for you. If I were in your predicament I'd have locked the doors and taken the next flight out of the region. Vandalism? Thefts? Well, that might have happened, but I'd rather have my life than worry about a few possessions.

Reply to
David Kaye

There is, the WaterBOB is sealed, which means that the water inside it remains potable even if the roof is leaking and dripping in the bathroom.

Reply to
Pete C.

Good luck with that. Not only were the flights probably filled, but later flights were cancelled.

One of my employees, during hurricane Yikes, decided to evacuate from NW Houston (elevation 220') to San Antonio. He spent the entire brunt of the hurricane with his wife, baby, dog, and mother trapped on the Interstate not more than 50 miles from home.

With regard to this craziness, my state has adopted some measures to implement in the future (exactly how to do them, they picked up from Florida):

  • The major evacuation routes will be turned into all lanes one-way.
  • Gas stations on these evacuation routes will be required to top off their storage tanks prior to the hurricane.
  • St. Christopher medals will be handed out to all evacuees. (I know, it's silly. But it can't hurt.)

In the instant case of New Jersey, New York, and so forth, I'll bet they've never had to experience such and do not have similar plans in place.

Bottom line: Leaving has its own set of problems.

Reply to
HeyBub

ANd they added these really wide shoulders to acts as lanes to some of the routes (especially in the Keys) specifically to handle evacuation traffic

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Oops, round bottoms are bad, too. Ah, well. I guess I won't cram the freezer wtih half liter bottles.

.

Nope, those half liter bottles do fine in the freezer, the only problem is the bottom rounds out and they won't stand up again, even after they thaw out. They won't ever get back to flat.

We always end up with a couple dozen frozen at the end of hurricane season. I rotate them through the cooler and back into the fridge throughout the winter boating season. A couple in the cooler will keep the beer cold for hours. They are also good if you are packing sandwiches since they don't fill the cooler with water and drown the sandwiches as they melt,

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Back in the late 80's I spent some time in the country of Californiastan and thought it was beautiful country. I worked the state from San Diego to North of San Fransisco. I lived in Berkley for a while and the place was a hoot, it reminded me of most college towns. In the course of my work I traveled the bridge between Berkley and San Fransisco almost daily and would have been on the bridge at the time of day it crushed all those cars during the quake if I hadn't moved back to my home country of Alabamastan. Missed me by that much ' '. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You know we come running when our cousins call for help no mater where you are. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Florida has another rule, all gas stations on evacuation routes must have generators. They get inspected annually

Reply to
gfretwell

Reply to
NotMe

Crews from all over Texas are on the road. According to the TV most left either sat or sunday.

Reply to
NotMe