Sycamore Gap tree... Glue?

Seriously. Get a crane, get some glue, stick it back on.

Could that work?

Sort of grafting? It might, it might well.. But I hate sycamore. Bloody weeds

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've seen them described as 'tree weeds'! Bearing in mind that in Autumn, sycamores shed seeds like confetti which readily germinate, it's surprising that there aren't a lot more of them all around.

The 'experts' say the stump might send up several shoots, much as in pollarding, but the tree that resulted would never look the same, and it would take centuries to get anywhere near the same size or visual impact of the original, which was apparently 300 years old.

That gap must be a very exposed site and the wind must roar through there on stormy days, but I see someone has already planted another sycamore nearby, about 2 metres tall and protected with a tree-sleeve to keep rabbits and deer from nibbling it.

I wonder what drove the misguided tree-feller to fell it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Nah! Try duct tape.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Sheer hatred of the species.

Sheer hatred is very popular these days especially with the woke snowflakes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are also dreadful for parking under as they constantly shed a sticky sap which is a PITA to remove.

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That's no excuse for the Horrible Walker of Hadrian's Wall. Not much traffic there and no shops, far as I coudl tell.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Something I didn't know existed doesn't exist any more.

Reply to
Max Demian

Just as we were getting used to teens with knives, the new normal will be; the scourge of teens with chainsaws.

Reply to
N_Cook

I read that he's some sort of right wing anti environmentalist nutjob.

Reply to
Salud

Reply to
John J

Computer says no (ChatGPT)

Moi:- can a sawn down tree be grafted together again?

ChatGPT It is not possible to graft together two pieces of a sawn-down tree to restore it to its original state. Grafting is a horticultural technique used to join two living plant parts, typically stems or branches, in order to create a new plant with desirable traits. Grafting relies on the cambium layer, a thin layer of actively dividing cells just beneath the bark, to facilitate the fusion of the two plant parts.

When a tree is sawn down, the cambium layer is typically destroyed, and the tree loses its ability to transport water and nutrients between the roots and the upper part of the tree. Once this happens, it is not possible to graft the tree back together because the essential living tissue needed for grafting has been removed or severely damaged.

However, if you have two separate pieces of a living tree that you want to graft together, it is possible to use grafting techniques to join them and create a new union, assuming that the cambium layers of both pieces are healthy and compatible. This is commonly done in horticulture and agriculture for purposes such as propagating fruit trees or improving the health of a damaged tree.

In summary, while you cannot graft together two pieces of a sawn-down tree to restore it, you can use grafting techniques on living tree parts if the necessary conditions are met.

Reply to
Andy Bennett

Perhaps some sort of vacuum cuff around the join, assuming an airtight fit is possible and its possible to rejoin the parts with structural integrity, as I suppose it gets pretty windy in that area. Then perhaps a controlled vaccum would draw sap from the ground and remove the air gap above the break, perhaps with some donor sap from another tree and monitoring the bubbly noises if successful.

Reply to
N_Cook

I suppose if they'd been quick enough, a skilled plantsman could have taken small pieces from the tree canopy even though it was sawn down, e.g. twigs trimmed appropriately, and grafted them into the stump, as per the diagram below.

Probably too late now.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Probably a disgruntled tenant farmer on National Trust land. Probably being evicted so took his revenge with a chainsaw.

If he wasn’t being evicted before, he will be now!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Probably upset by people trampling over his crops and leaving gates open to take 'selfies' by the tree.

Reply to
charles

I doubt it’s arable land. All sheep up there! It’s got to have been more than an annoyance with trippers though as cutting down a protected tree in a national park (or at least National Trust land) will have him out on his ear (and possible imprisoned).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A life size hologram of the tree might be easier.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

As opposed to a left wing anti-environemntalist nut job?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its Hadrians wall. It must be a footpath or even a bridlepath.

Reply to
Andrew