tub spout replacement

I want to replace the original Moen bathtub spout (with diverter; age=

13 yrs) and got the identical Moen replacement now. The model is called Monticello if that helps any and it's a slip on type. I noticed inside the new one, there is a small rubber gasket that I presume makes the seal around the pipe when the spout slips on it. I've got some paper instructions as well on line instructions but wonder will it do any harm to lubricate the pipe that extends out from the wall so the new gasket will slip on easier or will this make the new seal possibly leak? Yeah I know I can just follow the instructions but I'm thinking in case the new one is hard to slip on, if this will work before I find out the hard way? I've seen a video how to do this job but is there any gotchas I should be aware of?
Reply to
Doug

My opinion... If it were meant to be lubed it would say it in the instructions!

Reply to
Brian V