Trusses are up !

Today the trusses , tomorrow the decking . Steel roofing is at the lumber yard awaiting my call to deliver ... We're gonna be dry before the weekend !

Reply to
Snag

Pics would be nice...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hope you get in before the storm.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is there a binary group associated with this NG ?

Reply to
Snag

Don't believe so but since you've already mentioned trusses and the LUMBER yard, why not just post them on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking ?

I doubt that anyone will have a cow over it.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Just post pictures to an image sharing site, there are many of them. You can then post a link to the website because many of us lack access to binary groups. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

No, there is not.

There are lots of free image hosting sites, such as Photobucket. Once you upload the images to one of those sites, you can do this...

DerbyDad03

Hey, that guy is a member of The Sunrise Cult. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

One creepy ass droopy drawers cracker! And he be following me, too. I've got to get my iced tea, skittles, and get back home. After I look in some house windows.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You already got the cough syrup? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 19:15:57 -0600, Unquestionably Confused wrote in Re Re: Trusses are up !:

Or even better, upload to a file-share site such as

and post the link here.

Reply to
CRNG

How about photobucket ?

OK , this is a shot from inside . Will have some more later , haven't taken any for a couple of days , and what I took most recently is still on Mr. Camera . Let me know if this doesn't work , I've never done this before ... BTW , this is a big file , next set will be downsized before I send them . If anyone is interested , I do have pics of the foundation and framing for the floor . -- Snag

Reply to
Snag

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 07:39:46 -0600, "Snag" wrote in Re Re: Trusses are up !:

Yep, that worked fine. Nice shots. The trusses look good. I assume you built those yourself.

Reply to
CRNG

Yessir , I did build 'em . Looked at the price to buy them , and the way they're built commercially . These are probably twice as strong as trusses with the little bitty steel plates . The roof will also be decked with OSB/tarpaper , then steel roofing . There'll be some decking down the center bay of the trusses for storage too , which will also add to the rigidity of the entire assembly .

Reply to
Snag

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 10:01:14 -0600, "Snag" wrote in Re Re: Trusses are up !:

I did the same myself with a 16'x30' pottery studio that I built for my wife about 15 years ago. Much cheaper to just buy the 2x4s and build them myself. Also, since I was doing all the work myself and not it a hurry, I would just build one, put it up, then build the next, etc. That way I didn't have them laying around cluttering up the building site.

Be careful about putting too much storage weight on the truss bottom chord. Unless the bottom chord is specifically designed to support the weight (and most aren't) they can't safely do that. I'm assuming the bottom chord is what you mean by "center bay".

Reply to
CRNG

My server doesn't do binaries. Something publicly available like flickr or photobucket would make them available to all.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I finally got around to doing a photobucket account . See my post below about home repair photos for a link to the stuff I posted this morning .

Reply to
Snag

I spent 20 years working in a truss shop and during that time did hundreds of repairs. Till you had to tear a few of those "little bitty" gang nail plates off you've got no idea how well they hold truss members together. As a rule those truss's are over engineered for both the sake of liability and increasing\freak snow loads.

Reply to
tom

I know they do a good job on holding things together , I also have seen trusses come apart when standing them up because they don't take side loads well . And since I knew I'd be standing these up myself , didn't want to take a chance . But it was mostly about the money ... I have a $4000 budget to get this room dried in and insulated . I have lots more time than money right now .

Reply to
Snag

As formerly a volunteer fireman.... metal truss plates fail very rapidly in case of fire.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon