Toyota wires are thinner

Very good.

My 50 Olds had room for a second battery, but it would have been a 2nd

6-volt battery. When you only have 6 volts, you often need a secodn battery, but I never got one. One December night it wouldn't start and for some reason I called AAA or something, and they couldn't start it either.

They sold a device that would rearrange the connections of the two batteries. Never had one but I think it went from parallel for charging to series for starting.

Reply to
micky

I'm guessing the tail light wires on the Toyota are 22 or 24 gauge. No problem for the application but considerably smaller than on my old ('86) pickup.

I have no complaints with the car but it is not over-engineered as was typical in Detroit's golden years.

Reply to
rbowman

Wrong, of course. You should have said "there is 10 for every amp" or similar.

Reply to
Rob

Over-engineering is not good for the world as a whole. To do it "just right" saves on resources.

Also in a modern car thje tail lights will be LED and use less power, so the wires can be even thinner.

Reply to
Rob

What I know is that my VW has LED lights at the rear and the wires going to these lights are thinner than what would have been used in the past for incandescent bulbs. The lights are controlled by a Can Bus signal. Car manufacturers have had problems buy computer type chips!

Reply to
Michael Chare

Tail lights used to draw a couple of amps, requiring larger fuses, hence thicker wire.

You'll find that modern trailer harness assemblies, with built-in protection circuitry, sometimes have trouble with old incandescent bulb turn-on surge current in older trailers.

New cars may also have other kinds of limiters (faster), besides fuses.

Reply to
legg

It wasn't me.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The car is now 4 years old, but has only done a low mileage. It has been fine. I found out about the elecrics when I fitted a tow bar. There is a box in the boot for the tow bar electrics. The box has cables going towards the front to connect to the can bus and two thicker cables to connect to a fuse box at the front. If there is a problem with a trailer electrics a warning is shown on the panel infont of the driver.

Reply to
Michael Chare

The old cars were NOT over-engineered. They wer underengineered and over-built

Reply to
Clare Snyder

But mine aren't leds. Nothing in the car is that except maybe a few dashpanel lights.

Very little is related to CAN BUS. I think 2 pages out of 70 or so in the wiring manual. (The wiring manual is about 300 pages. I'm estimating how much of that actually shows wiring. )

Reply to
micky

On Wed, 05 May 2021 20:27:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca posted for all of us to digest...

I sent an email it bounced back, bad addy, LMAO

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Thu, 6 May 2021 06:15:12 +0100, Andy Burns posted for all of us to digest...

The insulation is also soy based which ground rats, mice, etc find especially tasty.

Reply to
Tekkie©

To me ? or to Micky ? My email address has been kludged since my early days on usenet - .. mid 1990s. John T.

Reply to
hubops

On Wed, 5 May 2021 21:55:50 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

You should go to the U Haul guy. He will put a hitch on a non-existent bumper and crimp some thingamajigs to any wires available, stereo, lane detection, backup lights, what ever they find and you are good to go >>>>> 8-(

Reply to
Tekkie©

That would be scary.

Not my video, but my Yaris was the same year, model, and color. I traded it in last year and never did use the hitch. I've got a little flatbed trailer but didn't need to haul anything.

I was going to accessorize it:

The red ones, of course.

Reply to
rbowman

toyota land cruiser for one, it had a weird 24v starting system with a parralleling relay so the 2 x 12v batteries could be charged from 12v alternator

Reply to
Keithv

toyota land cruiser for one, it had a weird 24v starting system with a parralleling relay so the 2 x 12v batteries could be charged from 12v alternator

Reply to
Keithv

3) lower current requirements of many of the devices on modern cars.
Reply to
Xeno

Big trucks are set up like that, usually with 4 batteries. with two sets of permanently parallel 12 v batteries that are switched into series. In the winter it takes a little power to crank a Detroit 60.

Reply to
rbowman

On Fri, 07 May 2021 15:54:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca posted for all of us to digest...

To you. I had some funny retorts I thought you may like.

Reply to
Tekkie©