totally OT

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m31g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

I get your point but...I spend a million on an antique tractor, not exactly a necessity item, so I have at least a million dollars at my disposal. Shipping is a consideration, but even if it cost $10,000 to ship, compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad.

Reply to
kpg

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m31g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

I get your point but...I spend a million on an antique tractor, not exactly a necessity item, so I have at least a million dollars at my disposal. Shipping is a consideration, but even if it cost $10,000 to ship, compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad.

Reply to
kpg

I even know of Prince Edward Island.

Reply to
mm

When I needed to send personal possessions to a friend who had moved to Geneva, I made a lot of phone calls, but i could have just gone to the airport, door to door at the freight terminal to find someone who flew there. They took all the boxes, put tthem on a 6'x6' pallette and wrapped them in saran wrap. They would even have picked all 31 boxes up for 10 dollars, they said.

Later when I wanted to do something similar I went to hair port, but after 9-11, the only way to ship was by going through fed-ex or UPS or the post office, or be a company with an ongoing relationship. No driving up to an intenational air shipper anymore.

Reply to
mm

snipped-for-privacy@m31g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

re: "compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad."

Unless I only had $1,010,000.

Then it's 100% of what I have left.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This is a local guy I met (Las Vegas). It is his business that he built from scratch.

Not to be mistaken for Bangladeshi movers.

"Ocean Cargo" - figure the port?

Reply to
Oren

On a million dollar tractor? Peanuts

Reply to
clare

Which would quite possibly cost more than shipping it, taking accomodation into account.

Reply to
clare

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Yeah...we all have problems.

Reply to
kpg

Do you ever watch Jackson/Barrett car auctions? There are people to whom a million dollars is nothing. Nor is paying $300,000 for a charity auction car. Nor is it selling a car that cost $100,000 to restore for $70,000. The auction gets 10% on top of the selling price, and then there are sales taxes and all sorts of fees and stuff that can easily raise the price 15%. They show their name tag and sign their purchase contract, and have another sip of cognac.

I have tickets for the $140,000 million PowerBall tonight. If I hit it, I think I just might be tempted to go out and make some "irrational" purchases. Nothing in the high dollar variety, but with what I'd end up with after taxes, I'd have a lot for low dollar items, that being $25,000 and the like.

First would be some extensive remodeling. I really like where I live, and would not consider moving. However, a seasonal house in Kauai would not be out of the question.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

kpg wrote in news:Xns9D1492DA9B3C7ipostthereforeiam@