Toro lawnmowers: compatible parts?

Hi, I?ve had a Toro 22? Recycler Lawnmower model 20005. It?s getting old and the supports for the wheels and handle assembly have really taken a beating over time. I just inherited a non-working Model 20012 (the engine is bad) but the frame and body are in great shape. The official parts list of both these models have many of the same part numbers, but the wheel assemblies are definitely different as the 20005 has "low-rise" rear wheels, and the 20012 has the much bigger "high-rise" rear wheels. I?m wondering if anyone?s tried to swap the entire rear wheel assembly, even though they?re different part numbers. It LOOKS like the bolt holes to connect to the frame line up. Just would hate to spend a lot of time disassembling both only to find it doesn?t fit. Any Toro lawnmower experts out there who can advise? Thanks Theodore

Reply to
milli...

One question for you : if "spending a lot of time " is your main concern - how much time is already spent looking up official parts lists ; comparing part numbers ; examining bolt holes ; and posting your question here ; and - most importantly - waiting for the definitive answer to miraculously appear here .. ? ... as opposed to just R & R the wheel mount ? I must be missing some crucial detail .. My experience with a Toro Recycler was that I tossed a perfectly good B&S engine when the body rotted away in less than 10 years. John T.

Reply to
hubops

You might want to rebuild what you got.

I just bought a 22" Recycler model 21464 with a Briggs 625 EXI

What a GUTLESS UNDER-POWERED mower!

Reply to
Rick Olsen

Why not drop the good engine into the good frame?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

They use the same deck. The wheel adjusters are different but the large wheen assembly, complete, will bolt to the small wheel deck and vice versa. I have a recycler with the small wheels and alloy deck from the very early '80s? and it is virtually as good as new. I believe they even used the same deck for the self propelled model, but don't hold me to it.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 08:59:40 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to digest...

the same part numbers, but the wheel assemblies are definitely different as the 20005 has "low-rise" rear wheels, and the 20012 has the much bigger "high-rise" rear wheels. I'm wondering if anyones tried to swap the entire rear wheel assembly, even though they're different part numbers. It LOOKS like the bolt holes to connect to the frame line up. Just would hate to spend a lot of time disassembling both only to find it doesn't fit.

He would have to ask Mickey (sic) about the shaft nut...

Reply to
Tekkie©

Just closing the loop:

  1. As stated above, it appears the frame is a standard size. All the holes lined up perfectly for swapping the wheels and wheel supports.
  2. Didn't take long; only about an hour or so
  3. allowed me time to oil/lube front wheel drive and transmission too, all of which works SO much better now.
  4. Thank you all VERY much for the advice!

Theodore.

Reply to
milli...