toilet repair

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with a toilet that has to have the handle held down for it to flush completely? I replaced the flapper after it was needing the handle jiggled.....now have this problem instead. It must be simple! Thanks! Christine

Reply to
christine wagner

Adjust the chain that goes from the flapper to the trip lever handle, Christine. Remove all the slack but be sure not to pull out so much that it causes the flapper to raise off the seat. Also - be sure your handle is tightened to the tank. The nut threads backwards. Let us know if this works.

Jim Mc Namara

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

If it has always been this may, it may be a water-saving toilet that gives a minimal flush when you flip the handle and a full flush when you hold the handle down. Many are actually designed this way. But if it started only when you replaced the flapper, you maybe need a different type of flapper than what you have. I always had good luck with the American Standard one with the bucket with holes that let the water drain out slowly enough that the flush is complete before it tips back.

Reply to
Alan