Electrical outlet - too hot?

Hi folks,

I found an outlet in my bedroom that we haven't used before. I used is for my razor charger for a bit. My wife then tried her blow dryer in the same plug and it toasted the blow drier. Before I call the electrician, can anyone give me an idea why this is happening?

Thanks !!

Louis

Reply to
Louis McEniry

Do you own a volt meter? If not, you can pick up an inexpensive one. I just bought a 10 meg ohm digital volt meter at Shucks Automotive for $15.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

The conductors in that circuit are probably not heavy enough to carry that high an amp draw and therefore the voltage dropped causing excess amp draw which may have overheated and fried a fuse link in the dryer! Take a look at the size of the wiring going to that razor outlet. - Darrell

Reply to
D-

This explanation is not possible. The only devices which draw more current as the voltage falls are induction-type motors. All other devices draw pretty much the same or LESS current with dropping voltage. A hair-dryer has a shaded-pole motor and drives a fan. Current will stay even or drop. This is not an air conditioner.

I imagine the drier chose this moment to die, but your outlet could be totally screwed up, with a bad ground and some kind of backfeed from another circuit. Plug in a lamp and see if it is really bright (or get the voltmeter). If there is a problem, get an electrician soon.

Your razor charger could work just fine with a bad outlet--a lot of them can be plugged into 110 or 220 or 240 or whatever and they compensate automatically.

Reply to
donald girod

It was probably just time for the blow dryer to die. The way the make things these days, no suprise.

Dave

Reply to
DaveG

or get one for $5 when on sale and Harbor Freight.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

What does toasted the blow drier mean? The cord burned? The drier burst into flame? drier just doesn't work anymore? Does the outlet still work?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thanks Donald,

I think you are right. The dryer seemed to operate at a very high speed and then started to fry. It actually still works in other outlets without any problem. I will try the light and see.

I did some more sleuthing and it appears that the circuit might have been originally for a heavy duty heater.

Louis

Reply to
Louis McEniry

Just so. Troubleshooting electrical problems requires a minimum number of tools. If you can't measure what a circuit is doing, it is very hard to solve a problem. A VOM is so cheap that there is no excuse for not owning one.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Thanks Larry,

I think my only excuse is not being well equipped to read / understand it... not sure if I can deal with what it tells me. I don't know if I will end up needing an electrician anyways.

Louis

Reply to
Louis McEniry