I found an outlet in my bedroom that we haven't used before. I used is for
my razor charger for a bit. My wife then tried her blow dryer in the same
plug and it toasted the blow drier. Before I call the electrician, can
anyone give me an idea why this is happening?
firstname.lastname@example.org (George E. Cawthon) writes:
Just so. Troubleshooting electrical problems requires a minimum number
of tools. If you can't measure what a circuit is doing, it is very hard
to solve a problem. A VOM is so cheap that there is no excuse for not
I think my only excuse is not being well equipped to read / understand it...
not sure if I can deal with what it tells me. I don't know if I will end up
needing an electrician anyways.
(George E. Cawthon) writes:
The conductors in that circuit are probably not heavy enough to carry
that high an amp draw and therefore the voltage dropped causing excess
amp draw which may have overheated and fried a fuse link in the dryer!
Take a look at the size of the wiring going to that razor outlet. - Darrell
Get the Cooling Capacity and Efficiency you Paid for -
This explanation is not possible. The only devices which draw more current
as the voltage falls are induction-type motors. All other devices draw
pretty much the same or LESS current with dropping voltage. A hair-dryer
has a shaded-pole motor and drives a fan. Current will stay even or drop.
This is not an air conditioner.
I imagine the drier chose this moment to die, but your outlet could be
totally screwed up, with a bad ground and some kind of backfeed from another
circuit. Plug in a lamp and see if it is really bright (or get the
voltmeter). If there is a problem, get an electrician soon.
Your razor charger could work just fine with a bad outlet--a lot of them can
be plugged into 110 or 220 or 240 or whatever and they compensate
I think you are right. The dryer seemed to operate at a very high speed and
then started to fry. It actually still works in other outlets without any
problem. I will try the light and see.
I did some more sleuthing and it appears that the circuit might have been
originally for a heavy duty heater.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.