Tire question

Hi All,

Forrester 2006

My mechanic says these are the two quietest P225/50 R16 tires

Which one of these would be a quieter tire? Do you guys have a preference?

Any reliability issues with these two (they are not Firestone).

Many thanks,

-T

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 21:37:41 -0800, T posted for all of us to digest...

T, it's hard for us to make an assessment as we may not own a Forester with either of those two brands. I have had Yokes in the past and they were OK, though if the vehicle sat for more than a day they flat spotted, which IMO would not disqualify them. The Mich's will probably be quieter, but more expensive. Much of road noise issue is determined by the road surface you are driving along. Both are good, a toss up from here...

Reply to
Tekkie©

Consumer Reports doesn't have them rated. The highest rated all season tire is Toyo Versado Noir. Supposed to last 75,000 miles. $99 Rated 60 The highest rated sport performance tire is the Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season. Expected thread life 80,000 miles $115 Rated 58 They also rated ultra high performance all season tires. This is the highest rated among those. General G-MAX AS-05

225/50ZR16 Price: $112 Rated 66 but only 65,000 mile projected use
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

+1

It shows the faulty logic of where Mr. T gets his advice to form opinions. Google broken again?

Reply to
trader_4

I am looking for noise. I have an appointment with my mechanic to change my wheel bearing at the same time. They have ~120,000 on them, so it is time.

The Toyo is rated very good for noise. The Good Year Eagle Sport All Season is rated excellent for noise. The General is rated very good for noise.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Thank you!

Never changed a wheel bearing yet, even on vehicles with twice that mileage.

Reply to
trader_4

I had a wheel bearing changed under warranty once, but I consider that an exception. No one I know changes wheel bearings unless they fail.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Damned thing do still work. They just get LOUD at high speed as they age. Subaru recommends your change them at 120K miles. I can't understand someone talking to me in the passenger seat at 55 MPH.

Looking at newer Forester maintenance manual it calls just for inspection of wheel bearings at 60,000 and 120,000 miles.

You could probably check yourself:

Other sites say bearings don't last much longer than 100,000 miles on Subaru's.

We are on our 5 Subaru but not yet had one last that long. Two were totaled and I traded in one 13 year old one as the head gasket was going for the second time. That can be a big problem on Subaru's of that vintage. Happened to both me and a son's. Out of warranty but when complaining to Subaru we both got partial reimbursement.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Already gone through the head gasket thing. And the rubber band thing (timing band).

The newer ones don't use a rubber band.

"Supposedly" Subi's are preferred by liberals. I keep telling them no self respecting liberal would be without a Volvo or a Prius.

Subi's are damned fun to drive.

I had a 2.5 RS Impreza. It had a five speed manual. One kid thought he wanted to buy it until I mentioned the transmission. One would probably have to look really hard to find a new car that has such the thing. I remember the old three on the tree but have never driven one.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The three on a tree was very common into about the 60s. I learned to drive stick with a '58 Chevy Sedan delivery. It was like a station wagon with no back windows and I did deliveries for a grocery store.

I also learned how to double clutch so I could shift into first while still moving as first gear was not synchronized.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

iirc the latest three on the tree I drove was the family '65 Dodge. I had a Dodge pickup after that but I think it was a '62. I learned on a '57 Chevy three and legally on a '62 Rambler Classic 3. I owned a '51 Chevy with a 3 too. I think all the rest of my manual transmissions were floor shift.

A girlfriend had an elderly Saab 96 with a column shift among its other oddities. We lived out in the woods and she liked the FWD.

The synchro rings were a problem even if it was supposed to be a synchronized transmission. They were a bronze ring with a grooved taper. As they wore smooth the grab on the gear they were supposed to be synchronizing became problematic. Three speeds were simple so replacing them wasn't a major operation.

Reply to
rbowman

Replaced 2 on the Taurus at under 130.000Km and one on the Kia at $138,000Km. None on the 88 New Yorker at 240,000 and none on the ranger at 373,000. None on the Aerostar at 240,000. The ones on the Taurus may not have been necessary - we were chasing a noise that ended up finally dissapearing when I replaced the tires -

- - . The one on the Kia was noisy and perceptibly loose - replacing it solved the noise.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

How about FOUR in the tree -Peugot and Renault and a few others

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Kalija (the old powerwagon tow truck) had no syncros at all and rather than double clutch I generally rev matched and shifted without the clutch. I ground a few pounds - but so did the boss double clutching. Learned to drive "stick" on the 44 Massey with a sector hand throttle. Now THAT took some concentration to shift on the fly !!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I live on a hill side and like the fact that they come with standard AWD. Also got me places hunting that 2WD would not take me.

We now have a family friend at SOA and get the VIP deals on them. He is very conservative BTW.

Today I drive a 2019 Crosstrek and get over 30 mpg.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

A bunch cut.

I intend to buy a midsized pickup in the next few weeks. The internet is sure nice for looking. Autotrader seems to be the best way to search next to finding the local dealers' websites. Dealers are really proud of their stuff. $50,000 or so for a pickup? Ain't happening. The used ones don't come at much of a discount unless they have a bunch of miles. Most of the pickups are four wheel drive and four door.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman