thoughts??

My mom is considering an EdenPURE quartz infrared heater, to supplement her heating. She's POSITIVE since she heard it on Paul Harvey that it's a good thing. I'm trying to tell her that she might save 50 bucks on her gas bill, but will probably spend 50 bucks more on her electric bill.....all things equal, are these a good thing? will she save money? If any of you have one, or heard of someone who has one, I'll take any reasonable comments on this...thank you

Reply to
news

The reason that the EdenPure saves money on utility bills is that it's a space heater. You turn the thermostat down, then use the space heater to warm the room you're in at the time. You save money because the thermostat setting is lower, so your furnace doesn't run as much. It's not magic. ANY space heater will do the same thing -- and most of them cost far, far less than the EdenPure.

Bottom line: it's just an overpriced space heater.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I just saw one last week. It was actually a pretty impressive heater and very safe. I too like Paul Harvey, and I believe he believes in what he endorses. Having said that, the thing is still an electric 1500 watt heater and under normal circumstances I can't imagine how it would save any money. These are not normal circumstances though, in fact just hours ago my accountant call me to install wiring for an electric clothes dryer to replace his natural gas unit. When I asked him why, he told me the price of electricity is currently a fraction of what natural gas costs, so it's just possible that in her area an electric heating unit of any kind may save money.

Reply to
RBM

I was under the impression that when it comes to electric heat, a KW is a KW. It's not like a furnace that loses a certain percentage up the flue pipe, so the efficiency can be improved.

Reply to
marson

Certainly they are not dumping heat out a chimney, but per usable BTU, electric heat is usually more expensive than gas or oil, or we'd all be using it

Reply to
RBM

Do a search on Google Groups and you will find other threads on Eden Pure. It is an over price space heater.

Any space heater of 1500 watts puts out the same heat. It may cut down the overall cost by heating only one room and letting the rest stay colder, but most times you just jack the electric bill.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A watt of electric heat is a watt and eden p is overpriced by alot, you can get a 30$ heater anywhere that will do the same. Also their tv ads lie and say other heaters burn the air and lower humidity, the truth is raising air temp lowers humidity, I this Eden piss is overpriced hype. There was also some bs about eden piss saying they use Cured Copper, well either copper is molten or its cured. You can do the same for alot less and might save nothing.

Reply to
ransley

Costs relate to electric rates where she lives. HUGE safety issue regarding combustibles near heater. Other than that, I like electric "space" heaters for smaller spaces.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

SNIPS

Interesting regarding reative costs of natual gas and electric. Seems somewha counter intuitive, and probably not the case everywhere.

What are the electrical utility and gas utility company involved and what part of the country?

TIA.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

accountant has no idea of whats he is doing:((

theres only one case a electric dryer MIGHT be a winner in the winter only....

exhaust to a filter to remove lint, then pump exhaust thru home to raise humidity.

provided the exhaust air is clean its 100% efficent.

sadly it would be hard to remove 100% of lint, and shouldnt be tried at all with a gas dryer.......

gas is nearly always the same cost or much cheaper than electric

Reply to
hallerb

-snip-

You have to price the alternative fuels-- Electricity can vary from

5-25cents/kWh in the US. There's probably a dollar a gallon difference in propane from one part of the country to another.

-snip-

Usually-- but if you live in the exception, go for it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

This is downstate NY, Westchester county. ConEdison is the gas and electric company for this particular town

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
news

Not necessarily. For the same KW, sitting next to an infrared or "radiant heater" may make you feel warmer than heating the entire house with baseboard heat. Both will raise the temperature of the room by the same amount but you don't care much what the temperature of the knickknacks on the coffee table are. You care that you're comfortable.

Reply to
krw

But there are potential problems there also. One person sitting in the ray may be comfy while another to the side is still chilly. Directional heat is OK if you are in the right direction and your face may be warm while your ass freezes. Overall, a kW is a kW of heat energy once dispersed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You're sitting on your ass. ;-) Seriously, radiant heaters can be good for watching TV and such. I find I'm plenty warm when I'm working (moving) but a little more when sitting would be good. We don't use one though (blankets are cheaper and safer). The point is that what people sense is not necessarily reality.

As long as there are no leaks. ;-)

Reply to
krw