Trash collection

For years I've been washing and saving commercial aluminum pie crust plates. I use them for chicken pot pies. Then there's the pile of 8 1/2 x

11" legal pad cardboard backing.

There must be a good use for these or, obviously, I'd not be collecting them. But what?

You don't suppose I'm just a pack rat, do you?

Reply to
KenK

next time you need to do something in a garden you can use them as a layer underneath weed barrier fabric to help smother the grass/weeds. worms will digest about any form of paper eventually (as the pill bugs and other soil critters help break it down too) and it becomes plant food.

no comment... i still have a few boxes of papers from college that i should put through the worm farm, at least then they'd be useful and i could have a few cubic feet of space back, but as they are on the lower shelf or stuffed in the bottom of a closet i'm apparently not interested in making worm food out of them quite yet. it will be a good winter project. maybe...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

IDK, but the recycling folks don't want them. IDK why exactly, I'm guessing that whatever alloy they are made of, they must not be worth salvaging like alum cans are.

Reply to
trader_4

The cardboard? Door hinge shims.

Not at all, just frugal. How big is your rubber band ball?

Reply to
dadiOH

LOL!.....

Reply to
notbob

"dadiOH" wrote in news:mv917s$s1u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I don't keep them in a ball. Just two plastic bags full.

Reply to
KenK

They don't keep for very long. They rot.

My next door neighbor's daughter came into town to spend a month with her elderly mom. She told me that when she was here last year, she spent two weeks cleaning out the junk - rubber bands, newspapers, margarine containers, coffee cans, plastic lids - her frugal mother obsessively saves "just in case". She said when she came back this year, it was like she'd never cleaned her mom's house at all. Her mom thinks she's doing a good thing by saving this stuff, but all she's doing is making more work for her kids (and cluttering up her basement with bags and boxes of trash).

If you haven't found a use for it after a year, it's junk. Get rid of it.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Moe DeLoughan posted for all of us...

Send her here.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Mom probably won't ever again invite the meddlesome daughter who threw out all her stuff with out asking.

If someone went in my house and started throwing out my margarine tubs, I'd throw that person out the door head first and tell that creep not to come back.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You need to save all that totally useful stuff cause you'll need it later.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Almost any municipal recycling center will take aluminum!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann