The Window Pros - vinyl windows

I am looking to replace the windows in my home. I live in Nebraska and my windows are starting to get pretty leaky. I came across a company called "The Window Pros",

who manufacture, distribute, install and warranty their own windows. Everything about them sounds pretty good, including the lifetime warranty, but I was curious if anyone out there had any experience with them or any words of advice for my search. The company seems to be predominant on the east coat but is moving into the southern and midwestern states. Thanks for any thoughts!

Reply to
pwh

"pwh" wrote

We have a company in my area, which manufacturers etc. They subcontract their installations, to anyone looking for work.

Things to considers in a window, which the "Windows Pros" don't mention on their site:

Virgin vinyl vs. Recycled vinyl. One can only _assume_ , Window Pros uses recycled vinyl, because all reputable manufacturers are proud to say they use _only_ virgin vinyl.

Interlock at meeting rails. Not mentioned.

Reinforcement in the meeting rails. Not mentioned.

Type of balances. Not mentioned. Cheaper manufactured windows use a spiral balance, instead of constant force balance.

Balance covers. Not mentioned.

Weather stripping and protective bulbs. Not mentioned.

Vent locks. Not mentioned.

Sloped exterior sill. Not mentioned.

Cam locks and keepers. Not mentioned.

Beveled exterior main frame. Not mentioned.

Narrow or slim line sashes. Not mentioned.

Screen track system. Not mentioned.

Anyways, you get the point. They do mention something about a _miracle_ glass, that's an immediate red flag, even though glass can be coated for repelling elements.

Reply to
josh

As far as reinforcements are concerned, it seems as if they must have something because they have a demo where they drive a car across the windows. I know, a lot of "show" for a consumer like me who doesn't have a lot of knowledge, but they must be pretty tough. That, along with guaranteed to not be out of square forever (labor included in the lifetime warranty, fully transferrable), makes me think they are extremely rigid. Please shoot holes in my thinking though, that's what I need someone to do. The warranty is what really impressed me. Full lifetime warranty, against breakage even. Warranty includes parts and labor. The only risk there seems like it's if the company would go out of business or be purchased.

Not sure what the balances are? Can anyone educate me?

They do have vent locks. (seen it on a demo window)

They do have a screen track system. (again, demo window)

Can you explain why the mention of miracle glass is a red flag? Don't know a lot about this and am looking for anything I can.

Thanks a ton!

Reply to
pwh

"pwh" wrote

Ok, I looked at their site more closely. I'm more surprised at what I didn't find, than what I did find.

There's absolutely no mention, how long this company has been in business. Given this, how can they warranty for a lifetime, if they won't mention how long they've been around?

I had to chuckle about driving a car across a window, how many cars do you expect to drive across your home? I do believe, just about any frame would hold up for at least one time, from any manufacturer.

Fusion welded windows are really common, they will break, if the window was ordered to tight, or the window was forced into an out of square opening. Proper measurement for openings, are a must. Proper installation is the key, along with proper finishing/trimming out of the install.

They have absolutely no specifications for their products. Architects/Remodelers/Builders demand specifications from manufacturers, not empty promises posted on the net, claiming to have a miracle product.

Balances are what controls the up/down movement. You don't want the window to fly up with just a touch, but you don't want to struggle opening it. Same with the closing procedure. You also want the window to stay put, if you open/close it just a bit, you don't want slippage.

You wanted words of advice, I don't believe I told you anything you wanted to hear. I would be looking elsewhere.

Reply to
josh

If the extrusion is not flimsy to start with, there is no need for reinforcements. Usually these are aluminum or steel, transfer heat and cold, make the windows heavy and cover up substandard materials.

The warranty is what really impressed me. Full

That is right. There is a company called champion who has been in business for 50+ years. and offer the same warranty.

Think about balances inthe windows like the springs on your garage door. They neutralize the weight of the window to make them easier to lift.

Miracle glass is just a symptom of "hype" which is geared to make you buy emotionally rather than rationally. Sometimes the "miracle" is exagerated. Anfd the glass will not make up for a poorly constructed window.

For 3rd party comparisons of the whole window, go to

and choose the option on the lowest left (directory of certified manufacturers.) Look up your company on the list of manufacturers ans concentrate on the U-value of the window. The lower the U-value, the more energy-efficient the window is. U-value even takes air leakage and frame insulation values into effect.

It's the only objective comparison of product that exists.

Reply to
D4

Pwh is wrong about welded corners.

Go to Google. Look up "mechanically fastened" windows. In ANY listing you see, mechanically fastened are the bargain windows. All premium windows will have welded corners.

BTW, the window pros are not listed on the NFRC (national fenestration (windows) rating council.

I'd find someone who is.

Reply to
D4

Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts. I didn't say that the welded corners were bad. Everything I've read also is that this is the proper way to do things, and that is how these corners are fastened. Also, the vinyl is actually a 90 gauge PVC vinyl, which I guess explains why no reinforcements are mentioned (or needed). There is a lot more info on this state specific site.

The biggest downside I've seen is that the company has only been in business 10 years, which someone else also pointed out.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Reply to
pwh