The Plumber

I'm the person who asked about how much a plumber would usually charge to replace an existing faucet in a tub/shower with the customer providing the fixture. He said they don't charge by the hour but by the job and this would cost $400.

My husband's in the wrong business.

Reply to
Pat in Atlanta

I got three quotes for the exact same work, involving the replacement of some iron pipe in my basement with PVC. This was not emergency work - they could've planned it any way they want. The numbers:

$1900.00 $1400.00 $ 550.00

What's interesting is that the guy who provided the middle number did pretty much the same job in my previous home for around $600.00 two years ago. His explanation for the difference: "Travel charges - I was already at your house for something else". Eight hundred in travel charges? The guy lives a mile away, not in South America!

They charge whatever they want.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I find plumbers charge wildly differing prices, so I get several estimates, and I tend to stay away from by-the-job quotes, once you think you have found a competent and honest plumber. Our plumber charges by the hour, gives significant discounts if there is additional work found that needs doing while he is here. Best to talk to neighbors, get some names. I tend to stick with independent small-business plumbers that own their own business, and work out of their trucks, with low overhead and no "storefront". I also reduce costs by buying fixtures, etc, via the Internet, then disassembling existing connections or appliances to make access easier and chargeable time shorter, and so forth.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Especially when it's a couple of lazy dumb s**ts like you!

In this world of DIY, that is one of the easier tasks. Anyone that can't pick up a pamphlet (free at most stores) or look on line on how to do simple plumming DESERVES to be charged out the ass.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Easy there, the OP is a person who was following up on his first posting on behalf of an elderly lady and the second post was a guy with a somewhat larger scope of work than a simple change of a faucet. Both are probably within an average DIYer's capability, but I wouldn't expect my grandmother to change out her bathtub faucet (of course, there's no shortage of family members who would do that for her, including myself).

Reply to
louie

oops, make that "the OP is a person who was following up on HER first posting..."

Sorry, Pat - just noticed the "my husband is in the wrong business" comment.

Reply to
louie

Thanks for the tip. Keep in mind, though, that some of us are gainfully employed and don't have time to spend a whole day (or two) on a major project. You, on the other hand, could do this job at a time when Jerry Springer is in re-runs and you're not too busy banging your mother or sister or whoever you guess she is this week.

Keep up the good work.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

But you want to deprive a plummer of his right to work?

Fuck you and your family too....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

I guess it's only fair that since you've been f****ng your family, (when you can't find a goat that's willing) Doug should f*ck his family?

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Reply to
Commodore Joe Redcloud

Plumming is picking a particular fruit from trees. Plumbing is work that involves pipes and water.

RicodJour

At least I can accurately identify mine.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'll have you know I f*ck sheep and not goats.

Heap big douchebag.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

I can identify your's too. Especially your mom (I just look for the hairy back)....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

be in, I'll trade in my pipe wrenches any day

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I think they charge what they can get. Get enough people to believe that need to pay 3-4 times what is reasonable and that is exactly what they will be charging. Shoot, I think I'll just repair a couple of things around my house each month. I'll make more than I did before I retired!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

What sort of philosphy is that? Next you'll be telling me that the three different gas stations at the same interesection didn't come up with identical pricing on their own!

RicodJour

Very possible. You made a payment on the new Porsche he was traveling in.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Funny how a simple question from someone that might really need some guidance ends up in the toilet by a bunch of people. (a plumbing joke....)

Reply to
Bg

You didn't marry a plumber though did you?

Ask your husband if he'd like to have spent much time in crawl spaces after having some pipes burst. Ask him if he'd like to get under your kitchen sink, _on his back_ & reach up in a tight space & try to break a fitting loose. Ask him if he'd like to have done that hundreds or more times. Digging up sewer lines, replacing wax seals.....

Ya gotta start somewhere. Ask him (if he's anywhere close to 50) how his body would feel about

20 or 30 years of that kind of day in & day out stuff.
Reply to
3rd eye

Today I checked on replacing thermostat on my car.

The job involved removing oil filter(easily accessable and not below the car like some others), and undoing two bolts below filter. Part is $5. Repairshop quote: $3xx.00

Toyota Repair manual lists: 0.4 hour lab.

I am in the wrong business.

Reply to
Brian