Termite treatment

I don't have any termites in my frame house in north Georgia and it's been a few years since my last professional treatment. I was thinking about doing some DIY termite treatment but am not sure what chemicals to use. Lowe's and HD offer a variety of brands with different formulations.

I know it would be better to pay a company to do a pro treatment -- but I just can't afford it this year. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Bitzer

Look on Ebay for products containing "Termidor."

Reply to
HeyBub

not familiar with termite prufe but termidor is great stuff. Its the only thing you will need to take care of all your bug problem for about the next 10 years

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I used Spectracide Baits to get rid of my termites, about 120$ vs 1200 for a pros " baits"

Reply to
ransley

Talstar One or Tempo WP or SC. eBay has the best prices IME.

Do a "barrier" treatment 3 or 4 times a year and you won't have to worry about much other than pharaoh and fire ants (I think you got 'em down there).

Foundation, sills, eaves, etc., inside and out wherever practical. Spray a foot high up the wall and 6" on the ground. Both materials stick pretty good through rains.

If you got the dough (~$250) a Birchmeier backpack is the only way to fly. Tough as nails, all moving parts are completely rebuildable, you can include it in your will.

I prefer the model that accepts 2.5 gallon F-style jugs because I switch materials from insecticide, to Roundup, to broad leaf weed killers, etc. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman
*+-I used Spectracide Baits to get rid of my termites, about 120$ vs 1200 *+-for a pros " baits"

I believe they are the same compound from the same manufacturer.

It's been a while and for me to say I'm certain is dangerous.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

I've gotten all my stuff and for the best price at

They don't carry Termidor but they do carry Talstar, Cypermethrin, and several others that are professional strength that control terminates.

For my house I put Cypermethrin under the foundation (before the slab was poured) and trenched around the house with Termidor. This is in South Texas where subterranean termites are everywhere. I also treated the bottom 2' of my lumber with TimBOR which is boric acid. Lab tests showed that terminates would not even crawl over TimBor treated limber let alone try to eat it. if you have exposed lumber that does not get rained on directly Timbor is a good thing to apply. Its a one time application.

7 years with this setup and no problems.

I also use cypermethrin (Cyper, Cynoff, or Deamon WP) around the foundation and in the brick weep holes in by brick as a general pesticide quarterly. No problems save an occasional dead spider that ran into the house after that cyper started attacking him.

Doing this gives me a chance to look for mud tubes on the slab as well.

Reply to
mook johnson