Switch for closet

I have a closet that has two 30" doors that swing out (it's a total of

60.5" wide or so) and would like to find some sort of switch that will activate only when the doors are open.

Do they make 120 Volt pin-type switches? If so, how can I rig it to close the circuit (turn on the light) when the door is open and not closed?

Thanks!

Reply to
kellyj00

Yes, you want a "normally closed" switch (closes when NOT activated). The door then holds the contacts open. Mine fits in the door frame on the hinge side. Any good electrical supply house should surely have them, maybe even Lowes or Home Depot.

Reply to
professorpaul

IKEA has something that might suit your needs. ( It's called "INLOPP" )

-=Patch=-

Reply to
R Gavin

Yep -- what you want is one of these:

You can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot -- but if you're not in a hurry, try eBay. I needed several for a remodeling project earlier this year, and found what I needed on eBay, new in the box, for *much* less than half the regular retail price.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You can also consider magnetic switches: Switch on the door jamb, magnet on the door.

Reply to
HeyBub

Steal the sensors from your neighbors garage-door set?

Reply to
Goedjn

Be careful, many magnetic switches do not have the current capacity for an incandescent light bulb. The most common magnetic switches are designed for use in burgular alarms where the power levels are much less than turning on a 60 watt bulb.

Reply to
kelly.jj

This looks to be more expensive than I thought... I'll just go ahead and put in a pull switch for 50 cents.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Reply to
kellyj00