Suzie Homemaker Question

I got some sap on my clothes this past weekend dueling with some pinyon and pine trees. Today is wash day. What do I wash them in that will take out the sap? This is my wife's washing machine, and she will notice if I use anything like I want to ...... acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc.

Guess I will just have to go with something a little tamer. What do you use?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I learned that lesson when I was about eight and was called on to dry the dishes. After I dropped a couple, I was never asked again.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Simple green might do the trick.

Reply to
Don

I've always used paintthinner and than waited till the wife was away to run it thru the washer. She can smell paint thinner a mile away so I also usually let it sit in the sun for a few days before washing (the dryer also doesnt recommend paint thinner in it). (You can also do some staining or varnishing in the basement too so you can blame the smell on that) Now you know why I'm not allowed anywhere near the wash machine. That and washing the lawnmower grass catcher in it (Hey, its clean, and works like new. THe grass catcher, not the washer)(and I never ever have to do laundry)

Reply to
Jmagerl

I would use turpentine to get out on pine sap. But you can try just rubbing it with bar soap first if you are there to inspect it when it comes out of the washer before it goes in the dryer, in case you have to try again.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I have had good luck using Goop Hand Cleaner. I have used it on adhesives and roofing cement that got on my work clothes. I buy it at the supermarket. Smear it on the spot and let it sit for 30 - 60 minutes before putting it in the washing machine. I've never seen any residue in the washer.

Reply to
John Grabowski

-> I got some sap on my clothes this past weekend dueling with some pinyon and

-> pine trees. Today is wash day. What do I wash them in that will take out

-> the sap? This is my wife's washing machine, and she will notice if I use

-> anything like I want to ...... acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc.

->

-> Guess I will just have to go with something a little tamer. What do you

-> use?

->

-> Steve

Maybe they can help in alt.home.cleaning. Laundry questions are asked there frequently.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Lighter fluid is what I would reach for first.

Angrie.Woman

Pine Sol cleaner works wonders.

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

Goop Hand Cleaner..... Put it on the trouble spot BEFORE you get the clothing wet. Work it in with your hands until the sap is loose. Then wash as normal.

SHHHHHHH - DO NOT TELL YOUR WIFE THIS SECRET !!!!

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

My goodness don't use something anywhere near as harsh as acetone, thinners, etc for laundry. Pine sap is a big pain at first but is actually quiet easy to deal with. Simple cooking oil applied to clothes or anything it lands on will get rid of fairly quickly. I even had some pine sap drip on my (polycarbonate) headlights and cooking oil got rid of it without damaging the lights at all. Harsh chemicals pollute via your septic or sewer system and will also cause problems with the normal breakdown of sewage. In addition you can easily damage your plumbing or washing machine.

A little pre handwashing with ammonia and detergent will work wonders. I've heard of good results with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol or even freezing your clothes so the sap becomes brittle and can easily be chipped off.

As a very last resort try a minimal amount of mineral spirits but not in the washing machine. Hand soak it first, remove the spirits and then wash it.

Reply to
John Smith