How fast can you drywall?

There are 15 minute versions, though the fastest I've ever needed was

  1. And I just discovered there's a high-early setting-type compound that's used in the manufactured housing industry.
    I find it hard to believe the guys can move that quickly. I suppose eventually they'll have taping guns that will mix the compound in the chamber and it will kick almost immediately upon contact.
RicodJour

It only takes time if you want to do it RIGHT. Other than that, you can do it any old way.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I hope they didn't use nails.

RicodJour

I've often wondered about those tv shows myself. While they do have drywall mud that sets up in an hour, few people use it

100% of the time in real life.

You do have to remember that I'm sure a few of those week long house renovations do take longer, and those episodes never make it to your tv screen.

But as you also point out with enough bodies and pre-planning, you can get a lot done in a short time.

Mind you, they never show you that house 6 months later, when the hurried drywall joints are peeling/cracking, nails popping. or floors are squeaking, or even that in some rooms you can see every joint or sanding marks through the paint.

Ever see what some homes in subdivisions that are built to a deadline look like. It's sad to see what is often pawned off as "finished" by some contractors.

And all too often those buyers end up here, asking for help as their 3 year old house starts falling apart around them

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

This is Turtle.

They have a sheet rock crew or company here that works for different contractors doing sheet rock and here is the time frame they do it in from my uncles house they did for him. first day they hang all the sheet rock in a 1,400 sq. ft. house and mud in all the cracks and almost floated it in but just close. The second day the finish floating / sanding the sheet rock and is ready to paint and the paint crew will ruff in the paint job as primer coats that day. On the thrid day morning they are ready to start painting regular coat of painting of the house. a day is 6:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. .

They are getting faster all the time.

TUIRTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Recent thread about how long a crew was taking to tape and finish a job got me thinking about the process. Install the rock, tape, first coat of mud, finish coat, sand, prime, paint.

Have you ever watched Extreme Makeover where they build a house in a week? I understand that they have many people and work around the clock. Everything is well coordinated and laid out on a huge Gantt chart, etc. But .. . . . . some things just take time.

In 7 days they frame, plumb, wire, and then cover the walls. That leaves only a short time for the actual finishing before painting. I cannot imagine having that much mud spread in such a short time, re-coated, then sanded.Are new compounds that fast drying?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

i used to know a couple guys that could do a 2000 sq ft house in about 2-3 days. they put fans & heat lights all over to speed up the drying time

Reply to
Longshot

The setting-type joint compounds are available with cure times as short as twenty minutes. I like the 45-minute stuff a little better, for the longer working time.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Edwin

I use the setting mud for small projects up to maybe one room. You can get

3-4 coats (bed, top double skim) applied in one day. I go for the extra coat because I hate sanding. It does have to dry over night with air movement to ready for a final sanding.

I hired some guys a few years back to finish 2 large rooms for me. Two guys had it ready to paint in a day and short half.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

This is Turtle.

No Electric Screw Guns.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Electric Screws? Are those significantly different from drywall screws?

Reply to
FACE

Shockingly so.

RicodJour

Who is they? Who makes the 5 minute stuff?

RicodJour

Actually they make 5 minute. I have a bag in my truck. It's great for small deep fills & patching.

They do mean 5 minute too, in 6 or 7 it will set up in a pan. Wonderful stuff for what I do.

Reply to
3rd eye

3rd eye

You can speed up the set time of any mix by using warm, warmer water. 120 degree water will most likely set 15-20 minute mix in 7-8 minutes.

Be warned that is a very small working time.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

This is Turtle.

Correction here.

NO , Done with Electric Screw Guns. It is a a electric drill with the head on it that will drill the screw in till it hits the surface and then let go of the screw to be level with the top of the sheet rock.

Electric screws would be something good.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE