Cleaning the router bit from glue...

Hi all,

I'm flush trimming a particleboard panel covered with a 2mm mahogany plywood. The plywood is glued to the particleboard by using white glue. But I have the problem the router bit gets dirty from the residual glue. I thing the glue sticks to the bit because of the heat when routing. And it is very difficult to clean 'cause when it colds, turns hard as rock. I've trying to clean it mechanically by using a file, even sanding, taking care not to damage the cutting edge. Recently I "discovered" the WD40 helps a lot... What do you reccomend? The router bit is a steel cheap one but I don't like to buy a new one for each cut...

Thanks in advance Sammy

Reply to
SammyBar

Vinegar softens white and yellow wood glue.

Reply to
Leon

I have not really encountered your particular problem but, bits get gummed up in a number of ways. Because I don't always have the correct solvent hanging around, gasoline seems to work well. Typically I use my chain saw mix as the oil has benefit for the bearing structure, etc.. Just allow it to soak for 30min or so and it should wipe off cleanly.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Brr. Gasoline is very flammable. All the authorities will tell you never use gasoline to clean anything 'cause of the fire hazard. Gasoline vaporizes readily. The vapor is explosive and heavier than air so it settles to the floor and stays there, rather than floating off into the air. A spill can cause an explosion when the vapor finds the pilot light of the hot water heater, the sparks from a motor commutator, or even a light switch. For easy cleaning jobs I use alcohol (shellac thinner) or mineral spirits (paint thinner). For tougher jobs acetone (nail polish remover) or for really tough problems, methyl ethyl ketone, (MEK). MEK is a very active solvent, capable of dissolving floor tile, lacquer, oil based paint, many plastics, and who knows what else. Spilled MEK can cause quite a mess. All of the above are available in ordinary hardware stores.

David Starr

Reply to
David Starr