Suggested Appliance Replacement Periods

I have the same microwave Sharp Carousel and I have to laugh when I think about how well it still works. I can't figure out which of my kids to leave it to.

Reply to
tmurf.1

After reading Consumer Reports, I'm surprised the recommended "replace" rather than "repair" recommendation. I've repaired a washing machine, dishwasher, range well past its recommended replacement period. Lots of parts available online for DIYs makes it easy. Sometimes replacement will give you a better energy-featured product.

Reply to
Phisherman

Awesome.. :) I got mine from my parents when they bought a newer one, it was the first microwave they ever bought and I still remember the day they got it. Is yours harvest gold color too? The newer microwaves are much faster but I'm not going to switch.

The above story in the daily mail a hoax I think. The microwave in that article seems to be a newer model. Some people say it is from 1984. Also he must be making 10.2739 meals a day for his number to be correct.

Reply to
josejarvie

HOGWASH!!!

ds549

a touch control nuke, doesnt look too 1960s :)

In the early 90s I saw a pre-67 nuke in someone's flat, forget the brand but it looked like it came from the ark, and it continued cooking until the door was something like 6" open.

IIRC - and its been a while since I played with one of those - there were 2 light arrangements in those, one type via a flap you could easily uncsrew, and the other arrangement you had to take the whole cover off to get to. And IIRC some (or both?) were 120v bulbs with push-on tags on the bases. The best solution I found to the 120v bulbs was to fit a SES bulbholder and use a standard 240v bulb, 25w or 40w.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

much anymore.

A VCR no, a washing machine yes.

Carefully re-read my message, hopefully you will understand why you were wrong.

Once you understand what I wrote, I hope you will be able to understand why it does apple to appliances.

failing anyway.

I would disagree. I take it you don't have much experience in statistical analysis?

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote

Most dont repair waching machines anymore.

And what its worth is irrelevant anyway. What matters is what the replacement costs compared with what the repair costs.

No point, it stays pig ignorant shit no matter how often its reread.

No I'm not.

No it doesnt.

failing anyway.

Your problem.

Guess which silly little prat has just got egg all over its silly little face, yet again.

The risk of an older appliance failing has absolutely NOTHING to do with how long its lasted so far compared with the average.

Thats as silly as claiming that the risk of a particular coin toss result varys with the result you have got so far. It doesnt.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I doubt if that is true today. A year or so ago maybe. In either case it is foolish economics.

Oh I would differ, but maybe on this part our differences are more semantics than anything else. I am not going to repair a five dollar toy even if it would only cost two dollars where I would be likely to repair a 500 dollar toy even if it cost 200 dollars. Of course with many items the new toy may well be an upgraded version with better features, where a new washer is not likely to be any different than the old on.

If you don't understand it, how can you suggest it is a pig?

Sorry to hear that. Those who refuse to consider that they may be wrong will never know that they are right, they will just believe it.

failing anyway.

Yea, you don't understand statistical analysis.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote

More fool you.

Irrelevant.

Your problem.

Nope, nothing like it.

Like I said, what matters is what the replacement costs, not what the dead one is worth repaired.

Irrelevant to what was being discussed there.

And when I do understand it...

Never said it was a pig.

Your problem. You could always burst into tears or something.

And those who realise that they arent wrong on a particular issue know they arent wrong on that issue.

face, yet again.

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Anyone who knows anything about that can see that I do.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I have a 10-year-old hoover self-propelled. It was never quite the same after I changed the belt, but it keeps on getting it done. It was a gift, I wouldn't have paid that much for one myself.

I replaced a 25-year-old microwave that I got from my parents just a while back. It was a Panasonic, and I think I hurt it by running it without food for a minute. I bought another Panasonic, this one has true variable power settings. So far, I like it as much as the old one, and it was a lot lighter to move.

I don't get breaking vaccuum cleaners. Our last one was about eight, and the only thing that died was a spring clip thing that held up the bag. Steel wire made a nice substitute.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Almost every 'broken' vacuum cleaner I ever had apart just needed to be degunked and lubed and put back together. Some uprights have a real bad design, and they get hairballs in places not immediately obvious by pulling the bag out. I have smoked the motor on a couple vacs over the years (one shop and one floor sweeper), but that was from sucking up the wrong things. Most household vacs are designed as throw-aways these days. Even my new baby ShopVac is all plastic- no leaving it out in shed over the winter. Before my mother retired to a non-110v area and gave me her upright, my previous vac was a 40+ year old fireplug style one with a cloth bag. Still sucked fine, but all the fittings were falling apart, and I was tired of blacksmithing and duct tape. I gave it away in a yard sale.

My Samsung micro, that I have written about on here before, dates from

81 or 82, and still works fine. It isn't the primary any more, since the one over the stove is more powerful, but it is sometimes nice to have 2. (Hot soup and hot sandwich at the same time, etc.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers