woodstove leaks smoke

When we lit the stove at xmas smoke came out of the back. Filled the house with smoke. Checking it today for the first time, there are 2 outlets for the 6-inch pipe that go to the chimmney. The unused one one the back has a crack and fell off when I touched it. How do I reattach it. There are no screws or anything. Just an insulation ring.

Reply to
tommylcottreau

Post pictures, diagrams, sketches of the layout. Much, much more information needed to assess the situation for a sensible solution.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Obviously there for the option of top vent or rear vent. Remove stove, take to garage, get plate fabricated, weld in place and forgetaboutit.

Reply to
jim

You do not reattach cracked stove components. Since you are unfamiliar with stove technology, it would be prudent to hire an expert (chimney sweeps in the Yellow Pages. Ask if there is a woodstove or "solid fuel" technical qualification in the jurisdiction where you live.) If you try to improvise repair without knowing what you are doing, you may either cause a fire or invalidate your householder insurance. In some places the fire safety code is the only part of the building code that is retroactive (i.e. the municipality can order you to upgrade at your own expense.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Get a new 6 inch plug for it. Use stove mortar if it don't fit tight. Don't run it like that.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw