Studs In House Show Black Lines

Hello,

I have a question about my house...in the last two weeks I have noticed black lines where all my studs are on exterior walls. When doing some research (this newsgroup) I found that it may be because of "Cold Spots" forming around the studs in the walls. I am working on my basement and I have some drywall dust down there....is this sticking to the walls and forming these black lines?

What are my options to getting rid of this or can anyone explain why this is happening?

  1. Do I need to add a dehumidifer to cut down any moisture? Do I need to see behind the drywall if there is mosture forming behind it? Am I going to have mold problems down the road now?
  2. I was planning on repainting my whole upstairs this spring, so can I cover these spots with a good primer and a good dark paint?
  3. Can I wash these spots away? What do people recommend?

Thanks for your time and response.

Mike Jackson

Reply to
mikejackson79

If the house is not steel stud framed, I suppose that could also happen with wood studs. Since the wood studs have less insulation value than the insulated stud bay between them, the room air would condense on the colder stud locations first. In that case the marks could be mold or room dust that is sticking to the condensed water vapor. Room dust has mold spores, unless you live in a clean room. Not all mold is toxic.

I've seen only seen the entire stud position marked like that with steel studs. I think it has to do with magnetism and ionized dust, but possibly the condensing water vapor thing as well.

RicodJour

Thanks for the reply.

We have wood studded frame...is there anyway I can get around this? I keep the house around 60-65 degrees in the winter.....Increasing the heat help?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
MikeJackson79

Take a cue-tip with bleach on it if it changes color after dabbing it it is mold if it doens't change colors its dirt. I saw this on one of the home improvement shows.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

When I tryed that it did not change color so it must just be dust.

Reply to
MikeJackson79

That should be a relief for you!! Get the duster out, or SWMBO to dust?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
MikeJackson79

Soot is a more likely candidate. Anyone in the house smoke or burn candles?

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

I have something similar, although it is only where the nails are and not the outline of the entire stud or ceiling joist.

I think it is caused in my case by running the oil furnace with a bad oil/air mixture, which I did for a while. I also have dirt on the back of the door that faces a heat duct, near other heat ducts especially in the basement ceiling, and by the mail slot in the front door (where there is some air leak and thus air currents.)

Others can say if this is the same sort of dirt as you have.

I think it should wash off with the right cleaner, but the mixture of emulsifier I made, according to the instructions on the bottle, didn't do it. I need to try a stronger solution, or TSP, or something.

Reply to
mm

IMHO:

You have a point, it sounds like a 'ghosting'. You might want to reduce your homes humidity, and control the dust level.

Just guessing.....

Tom @

Tom The Great

You do realise that if it's depositing on the walls like that, you're also breathing it, right?

Get an air cleaner.

Reply to
Goedjn