Best source for stain grade materials

I bought a house about a year ago and one of the previous owners painted every square inch of trim in the house. It was originally stained a rather dark color. Ideally, I would like to have a lighter color stain so I want to replace it all, one room at a time, rather than attempt to strip, sand and restain. The door casing, crown molding, etc appear to be common off the shelf profiles.

Is there a preferred place to purchase all this trim material and what is the best material to use?

I would need to find crown molding, baseboard, door casing, window casing, window sill and door jamb material. I'm in the Atlanta area, but as a new homeowner, I have no idea where to go for such items.

Thanks,

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

See whether the largest local telephone company publishes "Yellow Pages" of commercial listings, sorted by business type.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

In general, what you are looking for is "millwork". You can probably find almost everything you need in a place like Home Depot or Lowes. What they don't have they can order for you. If you want better stuff, ther are businesses that make the stuff to order, and you can usually find someone to do custom work within a reasonable distance. Big price difference between off the rack and custom.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

I would go to several lumber yards for the best variety and to shop around for the best prices. You may be able to negotiate better prices for quantity at a lumber yard. I think that the home centers may have some of the things that you want, but not everything and the choice of woods may be limited.

Reply to
John Grabowski

There are places that just do mouldings. They have, or can get, or make just about anything.

However in your case, since they probably just painted over the original varnish it should be easy enough to remove the paint. At least give it a shot someplace.

Reply to
scott21230

I spent the better part of my free time this past year removing the same paint from built in bookshelves. It was possible, but by no means easy. They used some sort of industrial enamel and the heat gun was the only effective way to remove it.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

Jim Sculley wrote in news:6MudnVjquMgQy-rYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

If you don't know what to use or where to find it, you probably don't know what to do with it. Hire a Professional.

Morvin

Reply to
Morvin Stayner