storing a 20 lb propane tank..

I had spiders get into the burner and carb on one gas grill. It sure surprised the hell out of me in the Spring. The flames were covering the tank and regulator.

Reply to
krw

So, you've been up on my deck, eh? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My deck looks safer, fire wise, with not as much wood around. Haven't fired up the grill yet this season but will check carefully before I do.

Reply to
Frank

Was this the rubber hose or some sort of metal flex?

Rubber type hoses can become brittle and crack.

At one time, metal flex lines were not allowed for dryer use because they would vibrate and over time would leak. They were allowed for gas ranges so they could be moved out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It was some sort of rubber\rubber like non-metal hose.

Reply to
tom

We cook year round on our grill...

Last fall the grill started acting flakey:( Turned out the burner rusted out, and actually melted a small hole thru the bottom of the grill.... alunimum casting

its probably over 30 years old and needed rebuilt again..... I like the grill it was my moms, she is long dead. its the lava rock type and cooks better than the ones with steel plates

a buddy with a machine shop has rebuilt it several times, i fix him a big t bone dinner for fixing it up.....

this time the frame was rotted out so much of it got replaced. the hole in the bottom got a metal plate covering it...

I have been thinking of having my buddy make a non magnetic stanless burner to end the burner rotted out problem.

Reply to
bob haller

My grill had 3 steel "heat diverters" or whatever they call those metal tents that go over the burners. When they rusted out I bought an adjustable grate that now sits on the ledges that the tents sat on. One bag of lava rocks later and I have much better heat distribution from the 3 burners than I ever had with the original setup.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Just buy a Weber - with the stainless flavorizor - or a Broil king or Napoleon. Lots of cheap crap out there that can be improved upon in a dozen ways.

Reply to
clare

How you going to connect dryer without moving it ? I can see the point though.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Depends on where it is installed. I put the back end piping in place, put the dryer in place, then connected the union.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So?

We don't give leaving the tank connected to the grill 24/7/365 a second tho ught.

Surely a tank that is not connected to anything is marginally safer than a tank connected to the grill as far as leaks are concerned. You can forget t o turn off the grill tank, and propane can leak from the connections or reg ulator. Even if for some God forsaken reason, someone turns on the spare ta nk, it won't leak due to the safety valve that requires a regulator be conn ected before it will flow propane.

Reply to
dennisgauge

It also prevents crud from landing on the burner and plugging the holes

I had to be more creative and built 4 legs for the lower grill and lava rock combo.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Standard grill tank? I call BS.

There is no way this ever happened unless the fire department was there within 2 minutes, and they were the biggest crew of bumbling idiots known to man.

If they were there quick enough to be able to set up and squirt water on it before the first tank ran out of propane, then the second tank never would've gotten hot enough to trip the relief valve.

I find it hard to believe that there was no way to pull the grill off the porch with one of those pole hooks that every fire truck comes equipped with before it did too much damage.

When the hose first ruptured, there was plenty of opportunity to shut off the fuel supply and get the second tank out of harm's way. You probably sat there mesmerized by the flames, or ran away at the first sign of danger.

Reply to
dennisgauge

Standard grill tank? I call BS.

There is no way this ever happened unless the fire department was there within 2 minutes, and they were the biggest crew of bumbling idiots known to man.

If they were there quick enough to be able to set up and squirt water on it before the first tank ran out of propane, then the second tank never would've gotten hot enough to trip the relief valve.

I find it hard to believe that there was no way to pull the grill off the porch with one of those pole hooks that every fire truck comes equipped with before it did too much damage.

When the hose first ruptured, there was plenty of opportunity to shut off the fuel supply and get the second tank out of harm's way. You probably sat there mesmerized by the flames, or ran away at the first sign of danger.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just to check that you had shut off the tank at the valve.

Reply to
willshak

connected to the grill as far as leaks are concerned. You can forget to turn off the grill tank, and propane can leak from the connections or regulator. Even if for some God forsaken reason, someone turns on the spare tank, it won't leak due to the safety valve that requires a regulator be connected before it will flow propane. Actually if it is just cracked open, the gas will come out slowly. The valve is to prevent the gas from escaping quickly when the hose breaks/blows off. The new valves pretty well prevent the fire situation described earlier by shutting off the flow when the hose pops.

Reply to
clare

Not possible? Guess I missed you in the crowd of on-looker's that night when we faked this whole ordeal. 2 many x-perts in the world these days.

tom

I'm not sure I agree, at least not with my grill. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term Lava Rocks...I think that was a blast from the past.

My grill used to use something like these:

._SY355_.jpg

Now I use these:

Mine are arranged a bit closer together than in that picture, but I'd said my burner's are more exposed now than they were with the original deflectors.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A proper "flavourizer" plate completely covers the burner so no crud can get to it - particularly with the tubular burners which are cheap to replace and seem to last forever.

Reply to
clare

to the BBQ.

Oh...then you *haven't* been up on my deck.

Reply to
DerbyDad03