Stimulus Check

This was essentially a rebate on next year's taxes (people are gonna be PISSSEEEDDD Off when they figure '08 taxes and find out they owe or that most of their refund was already given back). Most of the letters were to make sure people filed an '07 tax form since that was the basis of you getting the check issued. Many people don't usually have to file so they don't.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The truly insane thing was spending millions to mail out the "you will soon be receiving a check" letters. Why not just send the check without the fanfare?

Kurt Ullman wrote: ...

I don't know the relative numbers but I do know I got two to tell me only that (a) there would be one and I could look at the web site to find out when it should be expected and (b) a followup that it was still on the way (which was followed by the check within 7-10 days or so _ahead_ of the website projection by nearly a month).

What's up w/ the need for either of those at whatever cost it was? I can't imagine I was particularly unique.

--

Reply to
dpb

Well, that's not really true. Many of the people who got checks don't pay taxes. They still won't have to pay taxes. The checks were more like a gift from the taxpayers.

Reply to
jack

Not this time. That was last time.

The pre-mailing was to get people out spending that check before it arrived. That way people can be out spending $600 and the economy can get $600 worth of "stimulation" when your $150 check arrives...

Reply to
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert

Big difference between *paying* and *filing*. You can file and not pay. You can even file, get all of your payroll taxes back plus a little extra:

"The Earned Income Credit (EIC), also known as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), is an important anti-poverty and work incentive program that is run by the federal government. The EIC is targeted to individuals and especially families who earn low to moderate wages. If a worker qualifies, the EIC will lower or eliminate any taxes owed.

If a worker is not obligated to pay any taxes or if the credit is larger than any taxes owed, the worker will receive a cash payment ("refund") from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) after filing a tax return.

In such instances, the government is providing low-income workers additional money beyond what they get paid at their jobs to encourage work and to reduce poverty."

Earned Income Credit or EIC is just another form of Welfare.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

You are correct. Thanks.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote: ...

You really think they were that clever? :)

Might have worked on some, I suppose; that there was an attempt to "prime the pump" so to speak hadn't occurred to me as possibility--just looked(*) like a waste of trees, fuel and postage to me.

(*) Mostly still does, frankly... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I didn't get a refund either. A one-time capital gains kicked me out of the program yet a couple earning more than my capital gains is eligible and can also get extra per kid.

Nothing like a system that is skewed toward fairness, eh?

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Hmmm, there can't be any taxes next year. Both candidates said so.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

When I got my $300 payment for voting for GW the first time, I did what any good republican would do put it towards my first AR-15 rifle.

All this time I've been wondering when I'd get the $300 check for my second vote. Better late than never, I guess.

This time it'll probably go towards the Glock 30 I've always wanted.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

I'm not MAD.

Even a "uniform allowance" from the government over many tax years provided me with a large collection of fishing rods and reels :)

Give it and I will spend it.

Reply to
Oren

Somebody has to pay for the "Terrorism," whatever that might be. Bend over and grab your ankles!

Reply to
Phisherman

Isn't that the stupidest? Damn senseless government, but it doesn't matter, it's not their money! Mike

Reply to
amdx

All these responses, and nobody said, I put it in savings. That's what I did. Mike

Reply to
amdx

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:g57mgv $rmc$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org:

It costs me $60 to fill a Mitsu 3000 GT. Small car. Small tank, Premium fuel only :-(

How can you fill the tank of a van for $60 even if it is regular?!!!!

Reply to
Red Green

That's what I would have done if I didn't have bills coming in. I still put in the same amount of savings as I do every moth. It's just that the bills go up about 2% each month and the income doesnst.

If you only fill one of the two tanks. My old Ford Econline had two tanks which took $25 each to fill up (back when gas was $2 or less). That's one of the reasons I'm thrilled to death that I no longer have to travel to Ren Faires to make money. Sold the van and never looked back! Plus, I don't have to pitch a tent in the pre-dawn hours now that I'm in my 50s. Was a goal in my 40s that I hit early, thank doG.

Both my cars have 16+ gallon tanks. 16 x 4.07 = 65.12

I took my wife's car to work yesterday (because it needed gas) and put in only $40. Then I took an unexpected 150 mile trip and this time filled the tank for another $52. I never spent that much in a single day even driving cross country.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I also wondered about that. Your tax dollars being wasted. Just think of thousands of postal drivers hauling around in trucks delivering a letter that says you're about to get a letter. And the printing, and envelope stuffing and all. Amazing waste of money.

Amazing Waste Lyrics Christopher Young (1967-2039) Stanza 6 anon.

Amazing Waste, how sweet the sound, That sent a check to me. I once was poor but now am funded, Was peniless, but now money for me.

T'was Gov't that taught my heart to fear. And Gov't, my fears relieved. How precious did that Gov't appear The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and periods of unemployment I have already come; 'Tis Gov't that brought me safe thus far in my hybrid gas saver auto and Gov't will lead me to a Medicare retirement home.

The presidential candidates has promised good to me. His campaign promises my hope secures. He will my desert shield and retirement fund and medicare and medicaid be, As long as the federal deficit spending endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail, probably due to cholesterol, And Medicare and Medicaid shall cease, due to lack of funding, I shall possess within the privately funded, non governmental supported home A life of joy and peace as far as is legally permitted by safety regulations. When we've been here ten thousand years or some other period of time Bright shining as the sun. Or maybe just delerious due to medication We've no less days to sing God's praise in a nondenominational manner Than when we've first begun as the land of the free and home of the brave

Amazing Waste, how sweet the sound, of the letter in the mail box That saved a wretch like me from peniless despair. I once was lost but now am found, at least when my check arrives Was blind, but now I see how generous government is with my tax payer dollars.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon