Still more on Prius runaway

I shouldn't get involved since I don't remember which of you I usually agree with and which I usually fight with, but typo does stand for typographical error. And typo has become a word of its own, and typos is the plural of typo. Not a contraction.

Even if typo is jargon, it still has a regularly formed plural.

For example, someone might call a Stradavarius violin a Strad. The plural is Strads.

I don't know if this line from Kurt's sig was just a sig or meant to be an example: I get off on '57 Chevys. Another example.

Or maybe homer, which stands for home run. It's plural is homers.

Reply to
mm

"mm" wrote

If he has two, it would be Strad's Strads.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In article , mm wrote: [...]

s/It's/Its/

"It's" = "It is". "Its" = possessive form of "It".

Reply to
Doug Miller

ies'. =A0Balloon Boy

kid being in there

not nobody, even

d. =A0You cannot

inside the helium

nfirmed report

nor denied that

ne had seen the

television. It

velope. He had

the box under

it away.- Hide quoted text -

Only every reporter during the situation kept repeating the "in the baloon"...and yes, they _may_ have been referign to in a box. Unlike you, I am open to changing my mind when and if proof is provided. I provided one cite that said "there was not box attached".

I think it was CL who had a post with two cites, one worked, one didnt'. Beging on dial-up I usually do not go to links.

If you provide the one with the "door open' again (if it was yours) I will try it.

No, i am not a troll. I am seeing an honest difference of opinion on which one side (me) is willing to listen to the other side, your side is not.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

s'. =A0Balloon Boy

d being in there

t nobody, even

=A0You cannot

nside the helium

t away.- Hide quoted text -

I agree that the enitre balloon boy thread is useless. I provide a cite that there was no box at the end, you provide one or more saying there was.

When one side resorts to unwarranted insults. I quit.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

LOL. It seems people explaining English always make an English mistake.

Reply to
mm

I disagree with both of you.

Reply to
mm

Was he transporting batteries, or were the batteries meant to power something on the balloon? I think the latter. So what was powered by the batteries and where was it?

Reply to
mm

This one reminds me of Jiffy-Pop popcorn, the one that comes in a disposeable pan one puts right on the stove.

Reply to
mm

This one reminds me of Jiffy-Pop popcorn, the one that comes in a disposeable pan one puts right on the stove.

Reply to
mm

That is EXACTLY what Toyota has been saying. They have found no evidence of electronic problems but are continuing to investigate the alleged problems. They have said they are unable to rule out anything

100% at this time, but have seen NO EVIDENCE that there is an electronic problem involved to this point.

At least that's what Toyota Canada has been saying.

They can't fix anything that they cannot find.

Reply to
clare

One of the most contoversial applications of the apostrophe in English usage - by all the normal rules, the posessive SHOULD have the apostrophe, but like a lot of English, it's the exception .

Reply to
clare

In the video, as the balloon takes off and the father thinks the boy is in the balloon, he kick something in anger. That's when I doubted his story. Your kid could be in a life threatening situation and you get mad?

Reply to
willshak

I wasn't trying to make any point or follow any rule. It was just a typo. Apropos for the subthread. I make many t'ypos on the net.

Actually I make many errors in my typing in general, but I don't proofread on Usenet as much as I would some of the other things I write.

It's true that John's, father's, etc. have apostrophes, but his, hers, ours, and theirs don't. Us'ns does, but not just before the s. So it doesn't seem to me to be "all" the normal rules. There seems to be a rule for pronouns that it follows.

Reply to
mm

At the US Congressional committee hearing, that I watched or listened to because nothing else was on, I think the guy from Japan, maybe Toyoda himself**, said flatly "There are no..."

**There are often more than one person sitting at the witness table. If I listened on the radio I also saw a short bit on the news, but hours later.

I was also turned off because Toyoda was testifying about their being no electronic problems, and unless he is a techie who hangs out in the lab, he's just repeating what someone else said, maybe 3rd or 4th hand even. I was disappointed that afaik no Congressman tried to make that point, maybe becaue none thought of it.

Reply to
mm

Umm, no you're mistaken. His, hers, its, etc. are possessive pronouns, which NEVER use an apostrophe. Look it up and stop expecting everyone else to do your research.

Because "its" is a pronoun. That is the rule for pronouns, not the exception.

What percentage of prisoners in prison claim they didn't do anything?

Reply to
salty

Except the pronoun "its" is somewhat different - he, him and his,she,her and hers, I,me and mine, you and yours they and theirs .

"it" remains " it", like John remains "John", so to many it would appear right to make the possesive of "it" be "it's" like the possessive of "John" is "John's".

But it doesn't work that way in English. Part of what makes English one of the harder "major" languages to master - there are almost as many exceptions to the rules as their are rules.

Reply to
clare

A lot may truthfully say there has been no PROOF they did what they are accused of - and a surprising number would be telling the truth. A small but siseable number who say they didn't do anything ( or at least what they are accused of) are also telling the truth.

And saying there has been NO EVIDENCE of an electronic problem has NOT been disproved. Their may be suspicion - but up to this point, all 3 known causes of unintended accelleration on Toyotas have been STRICTLY MECHANICAL.

Mats jamming the pedal Stiffness in the accellerator pedal Corrosion in the electronically controlled throttle body (causing stiffness - not electrical malfunction)

Reply to
clare