Still more on Prius runaway

Here, I did your work for you:

"Authorities began to fear the worst after reports surfaced that a box possibly carrying Falcon may have fallen off the balloon.

A Weld County Sheriff's deputy had said he saw an object fall off the balloon somewhere over Platteville, Colorado, which is in the search area. There was no box attached when the balloon landed at 1:35 p.m"

Source

As I pointed out before. The report of a box attached was unconfirmed, daddy did not say yea or nay and there was no box when it landed.

As for them slashing at it to deflate it - try again. It was already on the ground and wasn't going anywhere. It was a wild attack trying to find the kid INSIDE the baloon.

I watched the whole thing almost from the beginning and the report of the kid perhaps being in a 'box' was already discounted long before the thing landed.

The baloon was constructed to resemble a flying saucer and was a pretty good immitation of one in an early Sci Fi film.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K
7:15:05 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

OOOOHHHH!! a spelling flame. Jeez, I haven' seen one of those for ages. Thank you!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I tried your link. Wouldn't load for me.

Further search showed there was a "small box for batteries".

The 'box' you are looking at is the extension on the bottom of the balloon to make it look like that one in an early Sci Fi film - it also contained helium.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That would be true if it were a contraction (do not =3D don't), but it's an abbreviation, not a contraction. You can have a "typo" or multiple "typos".

Reply to
tmclone

quoted text -

I have alreadey posted several links to photographs clearly showing the box under the envelope, and even a pictuer with the door to the box hanging open.

Reply to
salty

quoted text -

Incorrect - as the photo of the box with the door open clearly shows.

Reply to
salty

It is a contraction. "S" being the last letter of "errorS"

Reply to
salty

Only his past history can cast doubt? Good grief. The guy was told by the 911 operator repeatedly to shift the car into neutral and/or turn it off. He refused to do so. He claimed he could not stop or slow the car, yet when the patrol car catches up with him after 20+ miles, the cop tells him to fully apply the brakes. The car slows to

50MPH and then the cop tells him to shut off the engine. He does and the car stops. He claimed he reached down and tried to pull the gas pedal back up but it wouldn't budge. He also said the reason he didn't shut off the car was he didn't want to take his hands off the wheel, so how the hell did he do a head stand to get at the pedal? Forbes magazine tried to reach the gas pedal, and even with the seat all the way forward, they could barely touch the pedal when it was not depressed, let alone grab a depressed pedal and pull on it. Try it in your car and tell me why in the hell you'd try that at 94mph, instead of putting the car in neutral.

It's about 99.99% certain this guy is a lying skunk just on the facts of the incident. His past just adds icing to the cake.

Reply to
trader4

I'm not sure if yuou're disagreeing with me or not, especially after reading your reply to my other post.

If standard balloon construction means that the box is part of the balloon, that's fine, and that's what I said, that one meaning of balloon is the whole contraption. So even if someone is in the basket, he's still said to be in the balloon, even though no one thinks he is the chamber with the helium or hot air.

Here it's not so much what terminology balloon makers use but what the reporter used, or what the cop used.

My image of a balloon is a big gas bag with a wicker basket hanging from it, held by ropes, with a fire device in the middle of the basket, heating the air inside the balloon. I used balloon in two different ways in the previous sentence. As I said, "ballooon" can be used two ways, the big gas bag or the whole contraption.

Then there was the Hindenberg, which had many large balloons in a frame, with a passenger compartment underneath. I don't think the Hindenberg was called a balloon, but that was probably for advertising reasons. The same reason it was named a dirigible, directable, something whose direction was under control, to separate it from a balloon that wanders almost aimlessly at the whim of the winds. But a dirigible is just one form of balloon.

There was a chamber intended for instruments that had no helium in it. Whether they used the word box or not, that's what I mean.

Reply to
mm

quoted text -

That's what I'm saying.

That's true, it is amazing. (Please change I to you. :) )

I agree with you that spelling errors don't mean anything, except maybe in some rare cases, like if someone deduces a word's meaning from its spelling, and relies on that in an argument. But not in this thread.

Reply to
mm

I wasn't alking about the Hiway Patrol - I was talking about the lame-brain officer(s).

Reply to
clare

Mabee in your private world.

Reply to
clare

we can trade cites back and forth all day and aren't going to convince anyone. The difference is that I know I am right because I listened to it as it happened. You appear to be monday morning quarterbacking.

I couldn't bring up your first cite - on dial-up and it wouldn't load. Second one didn't show anything attached or any door.

No, that thing on the bottom is not a 'box'.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yep, I misspoke on the 'standard construction'. On a hot air balloon, they all have a big round skirted opening on the bottom similar (but not as big as) the one pictured - that is for the hot air to enter. A helium one would not be inflated that way. The one pictured is obviously and clearly part of the balloon constructed out of the same materials and too flimsy to hold any concentrated weight over a few pounds.

There are cites on the 'net for a 'battery box' and also cites to no 'box' attached. I assume they are talking two separate items (battery box and a suspended box).

What kicked all this off was my comment that there were plenty of clues from the start that it was fake and the news people (and cops) didn't tumble until late in the game. I called it fake after the first few minutes from the time I began listening. That was before the discredited report of the deputy seeing a 'box' attached.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

wrote

Not according to this

They do not us an apostrophe at all and use typos instead.

A typographical error (often shortened to typo) is a mistake made in, originally, the manual type-setting (typography) of printed material, or more recently, the typing process. The term includes errors due to mechanical failure or slips of the hand or finger, but excludes errors of ignorance.[1] Before the arrival of printing, the "copyist's mistake" or "scribal error" was the equivalent for manuscripts. Most typos involve simple duplication, omission, transposition, or substitution of a small number of characters. Typos are common on the internet in chatrooms, Usenet and the World Wide Web and some, such as "teh", "pwned", and "pron" have become in-jokes among Internet groups and subcultures.[4]

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No - "Typo" is singular, "Typos" is plural.

I completely disagree :)

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Well, that clearly wasn't who we are talking about. So I guess you can go stand in the corner with the Lame-brains.

Reply to
salty

Okay, dopey. If it doesn't stand for "Typographical Errors", then what does it stand for?

Reply to
salty

I watched it on live TV, dopey. And I don't have to convince "anyone", because you are the only dunderhead here who doesn't know that the thing hanging UNDER the balLoon is a place for small cargo.

That is not anyone's problem but yours.

I don't generally call people trolls, but you are either a troll or mentally damaged. Those are the only optionsd left.

See ya!

Reply to
salty