Stayin' Warm

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with the cold weather but I have tip for you when you write about it. To make the "°" degree symbol, hold down the alt key then press 0 1 7 6 and you will see ° magically appear on your screen. About the time you posted, the temp around here hit 7°F which is very unusual for Alabamastan. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Clarification: You have to have a numerical keypad to do that. Many laptops and netbooks do not have one and typing it with the top keys does nothing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I can't find the alt key on my iPad. ;-)

However, I can tap the number mode key and slide my finger up the zero key to magically get the ° to appear. There are lots of characters that don't appear on the iPad's keyboard(s) but can be used by sliding up on certain letters and numbers.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I wouldn't try to post to Usenet from one of my laptops without plugging in one of my many USB full sized keyboards or one of my external USB numerical keypads because of the hassle. I do have a numerical pad on my

17" Toshiba but I have yet to try to post to Usenet from one of my laptops. I think I tried back when I was hospitalized but the older laptop my roommate brought to me wouldn't cooperate. Ed, the point you make is a good one since Snag could be at a remote site and not have a desktop or laptop with a numerical keypad. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

For a while back in the day, I was using the upside down Question Mark like the Spanish use at the beginning of a sentence to show that a question follows. We using English have to wait until the end of the sentence to see the question mark.

¿See what I mean?

Alt 168

Reply to
willshak

Dang, I forgot that there are actually people posting to Usenet using those snobby expensive Apple products. I don't own any kind of smart-ass phone yet and I'm not sure I want to get one. Folks think it strange that I have a dumbass phone and a pager. I've had a pager since the mid

1970's and my current pager/voice mail number has been the same for 25 years so everyone who counts has that number. It's rare for me to get telemarketing calls to my pager but I once had a problem with people calling my pager because the number was close to that of the request line for a Black gospel radio station. So I added to the end of my voice mail greeting, "If you're trying to reach the radio station, you have dialed the wrong number." and I still got requests for gospel music. I changed the message again by adding to the end, "To reach the radio station, press the pound (#) key now." When you press the octothorp key on a phone's dial pad, the paging system immediately hangs up on you. Gerrrrrrr, One day I had a message from an upset lady, "I been pressing the pound key an the dang phone keeps hangin up on me!" I felt sorry for her and called her back to personally explain that she had been dialing the wrong number. It's been at least 5 years since I've had a message from someone trying to reach that radio station. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A lady in need calls and you don't lay down the smooth? Shame on you!

"Hey, baby...wanna talk to the Lord tonight?" ;-)

Reply to
Steve F.

I do my best to treat everyone with politeness and respect until they give me a reason not to. Darn it, a lot of people give me a reason. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Pastor is out, with the cordless mic. Walks up to a little boy and asked if the boy knows where God is.

Figuring for answer of "up in Heaven", the pastor is surprised when the boy says in their home's bathroom.

Pastor asks how you figure that.

Well, this morning, Dad was banging on the door and yelling "My God! My God! Are you still in there?"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon