Stayin' Warm

Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we survived last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I sure am glad I have an onboard fresh water tank and a pump ! This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since I think they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years before it happens again !

Reply to
Snag

My sister heats with wood. She says normally 12 or 13 face cord per year. So far they have been through 15 or more face, and hardly keeping the house comfortable. The wind is blowing all the heat away.

I also had a frozen pipe, neglected to leave the water dripping. Sigh.

and am presently charging the battery on my Blazer, which hasn't started yet this morning. Lucky the power is still on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The camper loses a lot of heat , it was never meant for winter use . But we've got a few thousand trees , quite a lot of standing and downed dead wood . That should get me thru the winter , we'll be better prepared next year . And we DID leave a faucet dripping , just not quite enough flow . My truck too is on the charger , wouldn't kick over earlier . I also hung a 75W incan light bulb down between the rad and motor and threw a cover over the hood area . I had slush in the radiator , but apparently not enough in the motor to lock up the water pump .

Reply to
Snag

Sorry to hear the cold is giving you trouble. I wonder if I have any filament light bulbs I can leave under the hood. Today I did use a ceramic space heater to help thaw pipes.

My truck won't start on ether, so my main mechanic suggests some heat on the distributor cap, in case there is water in there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we survived last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I sure am glad I have an onboard fresh water tank and a pump ! This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since I think they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years before it happens again !

Reply to
WW

"There is a Snag on Adventure riders motorcycle site. Is that you?? WW"

No , but I do ride and am active on a couple of the Harley forums .

Reply to
Snag

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 09:51:34 -0600, "Snag" wrote in

What area is that?

Reply to
CRNG

North central Arkansas . Stone County about 10 miles south of Mountain View , to be more exact . We're building a house in a clearing in the woods . Currently the "house" is connected by a hallway to the 25' camping trailer we've been living in . And the camper isn't well insulated , as it was never really intended for winter use .

Reply to
Snag

Wasn't Snag the 6th most poplular boy's name in 1972?

Reply to
micky

At least you delayed the freezing.

I have one water tap that when left dripping, closes, and another that opens more. Aren't there some magic words to make them stay where they are? (only one is used for avoiding a frozen pipe, but it's still strange.)

The lowest it has gotten here is 8+ F. Arkansas should be a lot warmer than that. I wonder what went wrong?

But if you're in Minnesota and have full strength anti-freeze (that is,

50/50) I heard on the news it will freeze at the temps they have there. (Wind chill has no effect unless your car sweats or you're pouring water on it that evaporates. If it freezes instead, I think the ice is a modest insulator.)
Reply to
micky

I don't know ... I got the nickname in 1963 at the age of 13 when I broke off a front tooth ...

Reply to
Snag

I'm not bragging or anything, but it was -2 this morning and both my '04 and my wife's '05 started with one push of the remote from my nice warm living room. My daughter had to go out and start her '02, but it turned over on the first try.

My wife's car usually stalls right after starting when it's below 20 or so, but the remote automatically tries again and it always stays running on the second try.

I know I'm wasting gas/money, but it's safer to drive when you're not shivering. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hey , the wife's '01 Mazda Tribute fired the first time too . But my '86 carbed GMC pickup is anudder animal ...

Reply to
Snag

Hi,

-2 deg. is cold? No block heater for the engine? Even -20 deg. is nothing for us up here. Our cold is very, very dry cold.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

\

Hey it is 55 and I am freezing my balls off.

If I didn't have a 103 degree hot tub I wouldn't be able to take a naked leak in the yard, ( at 0120)

;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Reading your text reminded me of this classic:

Beach Boys, Little Deuce Coupe. That said, may have found the problem, dirty connection on the ignition coil, or the ignition module.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The '96 4.0 Ranger growled a bit but fired on about the third turn. The 02 Taurus didn't turn twice before it started.

The furnace ran 10 hours and 38 minutes- - -

Reply to
clare

I actually calculated the cost of idling and I'm willing to pay the few cents to have a warm car. I also put the seat heater switch in the "on" position to get that started too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, Driving warms up car faster. My wife's car has auto climate control which blows hot air almost right away. I start engin,e as soon as hi idle speed drops I drive away.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sure, driving warms the car faster, but I'd still have to be in the cold car while it heated up. As long as I start it early enough, I can go from a nice warm house to a nice warm car with no ice on the windows, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03