NiZn Batteries

I got tired of replacing teh alkaline batteries my LED flashlights were eating so started using NiCd. Then discovered they are only 1.3 volts and don't work well and didn't last long for powering LED flashlights.

I found there are 1.6 volt NiZn batteries and am trying them. Spec wise it looks like a winner, lots of power, much better discharge curve. Cost is a little higher (ebay direct from china) but no worse then NiCds were when they became popular. Now I have a whole bunch of AAA NiCds I have no use for....

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Don't throw them away just yet. I played with NiZn AA. Requires different charger. Half of them wouldn't take a charge at all. The others had high series resistance, so wouldn't work in high drain devices. That may work to your advantage in a non-regulated flashlight where they depend on the series resistance. Returned them to the store.

Maybe I just got a bad batch.

Report back when you have more history. The technology looks interesting.

Reply to
mike

Powergenix does need its own charger. Deep discharge will kill them, much like lead acid. Got to charge frequently. I use a PR-2 bulb and bit of wire to see if they are holding charge. I've had to pitch out some of them, but overall it's good.

My digicam works ok on precharged NiMH, if I put fresh batteries in every couple days.

My digicam works OK with Powergenix. I'm not sure the extra voltage is healthy, but could be fine.

Mini Mag with LED works fine on NiMH. One watt Teralux module.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon