Stayin' Warm

My trucks seats also start warming up on auto start, if it's cold. That's nice. Side mirrors also.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

That can't be! We all know that windchill only affects animate objects!

Reply to
krw

I've never had a car, that didn't have something wrong with it, that didn't start, even below -20F. I have had batteries fail, unexpectedly (well, I should have expected) at much higher temperatures but if the car is in good working order it should start at much temperatures *much* below what you've seen.

I don't like them because I've been burned by them killing the battery. No thanks. The wasted gas is a plus. It pisses off the greenies.

Reply to
krw

Mine ran 36 hours straight and didn't hold temperature for much of that (3F below thermostat set point for at least 12 hours). We only see temperatures that "low" every 25 years or so, so it's not a big deal.

Reply to
krw

It has warmed up here...21F....so we went for a ride, ran some errands, came home along a lake near home in time to see three bald eagles out on the ice looking for lunch. One adult and two juveniles. This is north-central Indiana. It's snowing again, adding to about 17" from two previous storms.

Reply to
Norminn

No snow here , just a layer of ice over everything . Roads are *extremely* slippery - my wife who is a very good slick road driver spun out last night on her way home from work , ended up with her SUV on it's side in the ditch . Whole right side is damaged , and right now it's sitting along side the road in a yard right where she went off waiting for any fliuds to drain back down where they belong . Wouldn't do to bend a rod of something due to hydraulic lock in a cylinder .

Reply to
Snag

Very sad to hear that. I hope no one was injured?

NYS has ice, now and again. It's no fun.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, Good, she is not hurt, I sure hope. Even we Canucks fear the black ice most. All my family vehicles have good set of winter tires and AWD power train. Wife's can lock into real 4WD. So far no problems. Today 2 deg. Celsius, tomorrow will be around 7 deg. C. Melting like crazy. Chinook condition.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

For sure, that black ice (clear ice for netpicks) is really dangerous. Can catch folks by surprise, and make for trouble.

The guy across the street just got home. Took a crew along the Thruway, today, and saw three big rigs off the road. Even professional drivers have wrecks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

She's OK , one bruise from the seat belt and a couple of bruises from where she slipped and fell down . It was so slick last night and this morning that if there was the slightest slope you slid downhill . This one was so bad because it was freezing rain falling on frozen ground . It makes me wonder , how can it be raining when the air temp is like 29* ? Why isn't it SNOW by the time it hits ?

Reply to
Snag

Her car is a Mazda Tribute , same thing as a Ford Escape . And she had it locked in 4WD when this happened . Thing is that AWD/4WD may help the GO , but it don't do squat for the SLOW . The only thing that would've helped in this situation is chains or studded tires . I may have to invest in another set of rims , with studded snow tires for winter use .

Reply to
Snag

Hi, I believe because water drops coming down thru the cold air is too big to freeze or become snow. Here they banned studded tires due to road surface damage it causes. Good winter tires like Blizzak is really good but it wears like crazy. Barely it lasts two seasons. We usually depend on Michellin X Ice from Costco. Mine is due for new set next year.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Why do you say "them"? Didn't you once say:

"We've had one. That was enough to cure me of that particular laziness."

Liar?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I get about 5 seasons out of my Goodyear Graspics I find their ice traction lasts longer than Blizzaks - might be a WEE bit poorer the first year, but better the second, and definitely the third and forth.. Had the Blizzaks on daughters colt, Graspics on her neon, Wife's Mistique, my TransSport, my PT Cruizer, and now my Ranger. Just a set of Tiger Paw Touring All Seasons on my wife's Taurus - but if it snows badly she doesn't need to go anywhere - she's retired now. If we HAVE to go somewhere we take the truck.

Reply to
clare

I remember back in abot '71 when they outlawed studs here in Ontario. I had studs on the Valiant - could go anywhere. Then I got the '69 Dart - and non-studded snows. Driving down Sawmill Road between Conestogo and Bloomingdale, down along the river, and I thought I must have a flat tire - the car was going all squirrelly. I was driving slowly - not in any hurry (for once) to get anywhere. I got out of the car to check the tires and promptly ended up flat on my ass on the road. It was so slippery I could not stand up. I got back into the car, managed to get rolling, and headed for higher ground where the mist coming off the river didn't freeze on the road.

Reply to
clare

It's a well known problem. They (after market) will void warranties.

Stupid? Illiterate? Sure, of course you are.

Reply to
krw

First - WTF? Where did I say anything about warranties? I quoted a line form one of your posts regarding the "one" remote starter you had and then asked why you said "I've burned by _them_ killing the battery." It was a single vs. multiple question. Did you bring up warranties to avoid answering the specific question I asked?

Mirror mirror on the wall...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've wondered why NYS gets 35F and snowing. Guess some things will never really be explained to me.

Anyhow, I suspect the groundhog will determine that we have another six weeks of winter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, freezing rain can't "fall" on anything.

In a nutshell...

All precipitation basically starts out as snow crystals inside of a cloud. What happens after the crystals leave the cloud determines what we get at ground level.

Snow:

If the crystals pass through air that stays below freezing from the cloud to the ground, it remains as snow all the way to the ground and we have to shovel it.

Rain:

If the crystals pass through air that is warm enough to melt it and that warm layer extends all the way to the ground, it remains as rain and we get wet.

Freezing Rain:

If the crystals pass through air that is warm enough to melt it, but there is a very shallow layer of air that is below freezing close to ground level, the rain freezes when it lands on the sub-freezing surface of trees, cars, roads, etc. and we slide off the road, lose power due to downed wires, etc.

Sleet:

If the crystals pass through air that is warm enough to melt it and then pass through air that is cold enough and "deep" enough to refreeze it, we get hit by little ice pellets that sting our faces.

Hail:

If the crystals pass through air that is warm enough to melt it and an updraft sends the water droplets back up into the cloud, the water freezes on the ice crystals in the cloud, forming an ice pellet. If this "come down, get wet, go back up and freeze" cycle happens again, the ice pellet gets a little bigger. If it happens multiple times, and the pellets get very big, we end up with dented cars, broken windows and headaches.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

All precipitation begins as snow crystals in a cloud. In order for snow to remain as snow all the way to the ground, it must never pass through a layer of above-freezing air that is deep enough to melt it. That "deep enough" criteria explains why we get snow when it's 35*.

If the layer of 35* air is very close to the ground then it will not be deep enough to melt the snow before it hits the ground. The term "very close" is relative. The colder the upper layers of air are, the "deeper" the layer of warm air near the ground must be before the snow will turn to rain.

Reply to
DerbyDad03